Monday, January 21, 2013

Last Man Standing

For the past two Fridays, I watched Tim Allen's new sitcom, Last Man Standing.  I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like the show, but I like the idea of Tim Allen working in Hollywood again.  For the past decade or so, he hasn't done much besides for voicing Buzz Lightyear.

The premise of the show is that Tim Allen lives with his wife, three daughters and his grandson.  He's supposed to an old-fashioned macho guy, and it's funny because he's constantly surrounded by women and has no idea how to deal with them.

No, really.  He has no idea how to deal with any of his family members.  It's like he first met them a month ago or something.  He's been living with them for fifteen years, and he doesn't know basic things like, "My wife gets mad when I insult her directly".

I'd rate the show as merely adequate.  The supporting cast is great; in general, they're funnier and more entertaining than the characters in the main family.  It slightly throws off the show's dynamic, though, because the one-line characters steal the show.  I like these funny characters, but it seems odd that they're disproportionately funnier than the main characters.

My main problem with the show is that I don't think it understands sitcom morals.  The first show I saw started with a somewhat confusing moral, "you shouldn't show favoritism to pretty girls, and you shouldn't not show favoritism to pretty girls".  This moral then got twisted, then inverted, then turned around to the point where I had no idea what I was supposed to learn.  The second episode I saw had a moral which kind of ignored the main plotline.  Actually...I don't remember if they resolved the main plotline or not.  Huh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you going to finnish death upon an austrain sonata?

Anonymous said...

I kinda know how you feel, Michael. A lot of sitcoms today really twist characters and situations around. I mean like sometimes they'll have a likable character with good morals but then he does something completely stupid and the complete opposite of what his personality would do. They sort of do that on the Big Bang Theory but it was still consistent. I loved Home Improvement, or at least the first few years. The one thing that absolutely got my goat is that they started out with the youngest son being a nice shy guy, who I liked and could relate to, but later on, she just became this dark, lazy and kind of stupid character in stereotypical teenage fashion, and its like, why would you do that? Have his character be nice and shy like he was when he was younger. The other part of that is they turned the older brothers, who were nice but ultimately creeps when they were younger and then they turned them into the nice guys. I think they did the same thing on Roseanne, so I don't know. It just makes me mad. Except for Big Bang Theory and Frasier, I don't really watch sitcoms any more.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I like that show! Sure it's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and it's waay better than all the other stupid crap that studios put on TV now a days.