Sunday, December 30, 2012

Vatican II

Fifty years ago, the Catholic Church held a large council called Vatican II.  All the Bishops and leaders of the church attended the council over the course of four years, and they made many momentuous decisions concerning the church.  For one thing, they allowed priests to say mass in languages other than Latin.

For another thing...well, most people don't know what else was decided at Vatican II.  Sad, but true.

The fact that most Catholics have no idea what the Catholic Church believes and teaches has caused Pope Benedict XVI to facepalm.


Pope Benedict has declared 2012-13 "The Year of Faith".  Major goals of this year including teaching people what the faith is, and revisiting what happened at Vatican II.

What am I going to do for the Year of Faith?  I'm going to read all the documents of Vatican II, and I'm going to write about them here on my blog.  I have no idea how long this project will take.  For now, my plan is simply to work on the project every Sunday from here on out, until I'm finished.

7 comments:

2NancyDrew said...

oh......cool i guess

Anonymous said...

That's cool, Micheal! Inform the uninformed!

Diana Gray said...

As a Catholic, I approve. I'm sure this will be much more informative than my Confirmation classes.

Anonymous said...

I approve too! And the Pope facepalming? Sensible and hilarious!

This should be very important.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Michael!

colette said...

Thank you looking forward to it. Happy new year Michael

Balin said...

I had to do a project on Vatican II my freshman year of college. Going through all the documents might take a while -- good luck!