Thursday, December 27, 2012

Three Things Thursday: Mulan

My family rewatched Mulan recently.  Here are random thoughts I had:

1. I want more information about Mulan's family.  Why is her dad so much older than her mother?  Is the grandmother related to the mother or the father?

2. I think Mulan could have successfully made it past the matchmaker, if it wasn't for the cricket.  But if she did get matched with a guy, odds are that he would have been summoned to the war, then killed shortly afterwards.

3. The number of people in Mulan's army group seems to change from scene to scene.  Normally, they only have six members.  But there are about twenty guys who come from out of nowhere, just to help out during the musical numbers.  Is that their job?  They don't seem to be with the rest of the soldiers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered why Mulan is considered a Disney Princess when she's: a.) not royalty, and b.) didn't marry into royalty. That's always bugged me. She should be in the same category as Alice from Alice in Wonderland: a heroine, but not a princess.

2NancyDrew said...

dont you just love how brave the princesses are?! Reminds me of a certen girl... hint:Na*cy Dr*w

Anonymous said...

Your question about the age difference of Mulan's parents can be explained simply by the story's time period; I'm pretty sure it wasn't uncommon in ancient China for young women to be married to older men. :)

Anonymous said...

Quick answer to #1 - Look up Confucianism on wikipedia if you really want to know about Chinese culture that much.

Anonymous said...

I love your serious analysis of nearly every disney movie you watch :-)

Anonymous said...

i love that movie because i am 25% chinesse:)