Friday, December 14, 2012

Road Trip (Part 25): Disneyland Day

The final day of the Epic Road Trip was Disneyland. My sister and I charted out a strategy of where we wanted to go, and how we'd get there. The basic idea was to go through the park counter-clockwise, hitting Tomorrowland first and making our way from there to Splash Mountain.

We started by getting Fast Pass tickets for Space Mountain.  Man, that ride is the best.  They try to do a Halloween version of that ride, but you really can't tell the difference.

One of the "must ride" things we did was the new Star Tours.  The trainee pilot is gone; now it's R2D2 and C3P0 piloting the ship.  They zoom throughout the galaxy, while being chased by Darth Vader.  Places you visit are Hoth (the ice planet), the asteroid planet from Episode 2, and...I don't remember the third place you visit.  Since everyone loved the "jump to light speed" segment of the first Star Tours, there are four "jump to light speed" segments in the new one.

Finding Nemo's Undersea Voyage still has a ridiculously long line, so we didn't go on it.  Why do more people want to go on Nemo than the Matterhorn?  Jeez.

We went to California Adventure for a brief time.  Screaming California, the roller coaster where you go upside-down, was craaaazy.  I loved it, but I didn't know they took pictures on the ride.  Now we've got a picture of my sister being ecstatic, and me looking like I'm about to throw up.

The new The Little Mermaid ride at California Adventure is FANTASTIC.  It's one of those rides, where you sit in a small car that drives past animatronics, like Pinocchio's Daring Journey or the Snow White ride.  The difference is that the animatronics in The Little Mermaid were made in this century, so they're much fancier.  They had a pretty sizeable room for all the songs in the film, except Les Possoins (or however you spell it).

The Monsters Inc. ride at California Adventure was in the same vein.  It was good, but not as good at Ariel's ride.  Sadly, the Muppets show was closed, as was the Grizzly Bear water rafting ride.  In Disneyland, the closed attractions were Indiana Jones, Storybook Land and Casey Junior's train.  The later two are being updated/rennovated, as I understand it, and it's about time!

Let me see, what else?  We had lunch at the country place, near the petting zoo no one goes to.  They have live music and all you can eat ribs.  That was our only meal for the day, and I ate three whole buckets of ribs.  Gotta get your money's worth, if you're paying over $50 for a meal, right?  Besides, I never eat ribs, so it was a treat to have as many as I could hold.

Oh, I almost forgot!  The Haunted Mansion was all done up for Halloween, with a Nightmare Before Christmas theme.  It was merely okay, but now that I've seen the movie, I kind of want to go on the ride again.  Maybe I'll appreciate it more.

The last ride we went on was It's a Small World, because Mom told us they redid the whole ride. She was wrong.  They put in a few new dolls, such as Lilo and Stitch in Hawaii, Ariel in the mermaid area, Cinderella in France, and Toy Story's Woody in cowboy America.  Everything else was the same; they just added some new dolls.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

so jelaous

Anonymous said...

lucky i went to disney world any way could you post some picters???

Miriam said...

My mom insisted that we check out the Nemo ride when we went, and it was fairly new at that time. We waited in line for *forever* and it was honestly boring. :/
Indiana Jones was only open one of the three days we were there, so we went on it like four times that day.

Anonymous said...

all the time i used to read smaller posts which as well clear their motive,
and that is also happening with this post which I am reading at this time.
My webpage ... nfl jerseys wholesale

Christi said...

Perhaps because the Matterhorn is jerky... O_o

Anonymous said...

I know this web page gives quality depending articles or reviews and other stuff, is there any other site which provides such data in quality?
Feel free to visit my website : cheap nfl jerseys

Diana Gray said...

See?! So. Cal is amazing, Michael! Disneyland is my hang out place with friends! Heck, we have a whole day where all we do is go to Disney!
Anyways, glad to hear you had fun. Trust me, Nemo ride is not worth it. I'll have to try the rib place, never had that before...

Anonymous said...

Lucky, I love that place and I love your posts.
Sincerely, An Arglefumph Fan :)