Sunday, December 9, 2012

Road Trip (Part 20): Amarillo

Today was a slow day.  I drove from Dallas, Texas, to Amarillo, Texas.  The most exciting thing I did along the way was stop at a fast food place called Whataburger.

Verdict: Good!  The fries are not so good, but for an independent, Texas-only chain, Whataburger is definitely nice.  If I lived in Texas, I'd probably frequent it with some regularity.

At Amarillo, I went to dinner at The Big Texan.  This is the main draw of the city; it's their super-touristy place.  I love touristy stuff, so it's no surprised I loved it.  It's a massive steakhouse, with a live country band, everyone dressed up like cowboys, and humongous antlered creatures handing from every wall.



I got the barbecue platter, which was delicious.  While I was there, two people tried the Big Texan's 72 ounce steak-eating contest.  If you can eat the 72 ounce steak within an hour, you get it for free.  One of our local hometown California heroes, six time world eating champion Joey Chestnut, holds the record for eating this bad boy in under ten minutes.

So that's Amarillo day.  Mostly, all I did was drive and eat.  But I had fun!  I love these tourist places.  I just wish I could have stayed there another day and tried some of their famous steak.  Oh well; I don't regret filling up on Whataburger earlier that day.

9 comments:

Emma said...

my cousins used to live in amarillo!

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I may like this blog.
He used to be totally right. This publish truly made my day.

You can not imagine simply how a lot time I had spent for this information!

Thank you!
My web page :: best ways to make fast money

Anonymous said...

Very good blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?

There are so many choices out there that I'm completely confused .. Any tips? Bless you!
Visit my web site : how to earn Online money

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this
topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!
Also see my web site: how to make easy fast money

Anonymous said...

Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information
on your blog. Im really impressed by your site.
Hey there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and for my part suggest to my friends.
I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.
Also visit my web-site : what s the best way to make money online

Anonymous said...

Hey there fantastic website! Does running a blog like
this take a great deal of work? I have virtually
no understanding of computer programming but
I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have
any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off topic however I simply wanted to ask. Cheers!
Review my webpage :: earn easy money online

Miss. Cellaneous said...

Um, Whataburger isn't a Texas-only chain... there's a bunch of 'em in Oklahoma, too.

Anonymous said...

Hello, after reading this remarkable post i am too delighted to share my familiarity
here with colleagues.
Here is my page i am broke and need money

Anonymous said...

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am
actually happy to read everthing at single place.
Feel free to surf my site : ways to make money online fast