Thursday, December 6, 2012

Road Trip (Part 17): Perryville, Arkansas

My major destination for the day was Perryville, MO.  Why Perryville?  That's where they have the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.  I edited a book on the Miraculous Medal, which was published at this location in 1918.  I thought it would be cool to visit the place in real life.

The shrine is run by the Vincentians.  By complete coincidence, the Knights of Columbus of Missouri were there, for a statewide meeting.  It made for a very nice Sunday mass.


The Knights of Columbus in full regalia

This was an interesting statue. I've never seen St. Therese depicted in the same place as the Shroud of Turin. 

Continuing to Arkansas wasn't so much fun.  About an hour from Little Rock, traffic died completely.  The highway stopped moving, and it stayed that way for an hour and a half.  I don't know what caused the jam; I think it might be the fact that the highway condenses from three lanes into one.  Maybe there was a car accident.

After that, I couldn't find the hotel, because I had the wrong address.  Ugh.  The people were helpful, but they were somewhat hard to understand.  I had no idea the regional accent in Arkansas was so strong.  Usually, I think of people from Texas as having country accents, but the people in Arkansas have them beat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally off topic but have you seen the fan mail Her Interactive got on Nov. 27th soo cute they posted it on the amiture sluth blog (ps im the one who drew them)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had an accent

Justice said...

Anonymous @ 7:07 -

That wish is easily enough granted: just go to some place where people whom YOU perceive to have an accent live. They'll think YOU'RE the one with the accent! :D