Thursday, November 8, 2012

Three Things Thursday: Voting Edition

1. I mentioned earlier that the death penalty was on the California ballot this year.  The people voted to keep using the death penalty, which is a complete tragedy because deliberate murder is wrong in all circumstances.  It passed with a majority of 5.6%, or a little over half a million votes.

2. My particular county in California still has 200,000 uncounted votes.  Most of them are mail-in ballots.  I'm not entirely sure what's up with my county and mail-in ballots, to be honest.  A few years ago, the government changed my mother's voting status "person who votes in her home town" to "permanent vote-by-mail in the next town over".  My dad lives in the same house as her, but votes in a different city.

The decision kind of reeks of gerrymandering, to be honest.  Or as we call it in California, "Jerrymandering".  Speaking of which, Governor Jerry Brown is probably pleased at the failure of Prop 40, which wanted to redo the current voting districts that favor his party.

3.  For the record, Wikipedia uses California's voting districts for four of their ten examples of gerrymandering in the United States.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm upset about the death penalty as well, however I'm so happy that Prop 30 passed! It's about time to fund education. The state of the UC and CSU system the last four years has been terrible. As a student from both types of universities, I experienced education budget cuts first hand.

Aaron M. Fugate said...

I disagree about the death penalty. If you take someone else's life, yours should also be taken.

Anonymous said...

If you take someone's life *on purpose*. God makes it clear that if you have to kill someone in self-defense, it's not technically murder and you don't have to pay for it with your life. (And battle/war counts as self-defense.)

Aaron M. Fugate said...

Yeah, I should have said "intentionally".

Anonymous said...

I don't live in the us, but the death penalty is just wrong it should be banned everywhere.

Aaron M. Fugate said...

11/9 Anonymous, support your claim. Why is the death penalty wrong? You can't just say something and not back it up with reason.