Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Deadly Device Speedrun

Earlier this week, I was stuck on Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device.  I figured out what the problem was.  It turns out that you have to ask Mason about Ryan's possible motive for murder. Otherwise, you'll get stuck in the lab later on.

What a weird trigger.  I mean, you can't use the photolithography lab or go into the Tesla coil control booth, without first asking Mason about something unrelated to those two things.

I guess it's the game's way of making sure that you talk to all the characters.

I'm trying to plan a speedrun for Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device, but I'm running into a lot of triggers like this.  They did a really good job, making sure you have to do things in a certain order.  You can't do the 3D model puzzle early; you can't do the book puzzle early; in fact, the only thing you can do early is get a high score on Aggregation.

So right now, it looks like my speedrun is just going to be "Michael plays the game normally", because I can't think of any time-saving techniques. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put the recording on fast forward but not your voice XD jkjkjkjk

Larry King said...

I've actually already attempted a full speedrun for the game, and have a full walkthrough to how to complete the game as quickly as possible.

Outside of Aggregation, there's only really two other tricks I've found to speed up the beginning of the game, and both save only a couple seconds at most. After getting into the lab, things do start to get a little bit more interesting though.

There's about a dozen optional things in the game, and some major tricks allowing you to save 5-10 minutes of time. My first real time through the game took 1 hour and 15 minutes, though it took about 15 minutes to find a trigger I was missing. Should be doable under an hour.

I'm excited to see how well someone else can do it.