Monday, November 26, 2012

Sleepy Time Gal

I inherited my grandmother's music collection when she died a while back.  One of the songs I liked was Sleepy Time Gal.  The version of the song on Youtube is rather slow; Grandma had a dance version of the song which is faster and more interesting.

So I've had this song memorized for a while. Imagine my shock when I learned that the song has lyrics.  Now I feel compelled to memorize the lyrics, simply because I know the tune.

I also feel compelled to go through all her other songs, and see if they have lyrics, too.  What about the polka for I Never Promised You a Rose Garden, or the trumpet rendition Make the World Go Away?  Those titles sound like they would be for songs with lyrics.

Does that ever happen to you, readers?  Do you memorize a tune, without knowing that it has official lyrics?  Or do they tend not to make instrumental versions of songs anymore?  I don't think I ever hear instrumentals on the radio, certainly not instrumental versions of Sleepy Time Gal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality websites online.
I most certainly will recommend this blog!
Also visit my page ; Real Estate Alanya

Anonymous said...

I'm sure readers here have memorized Justin Bieber lyrics... and have no idea what "old" music you're speaking off haha

Anonymous said...

After looking over a number of the blog posts on your web site, I honestly
appreciate your way of writing a blog. I book marked it
to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon.

Take a look at my web site as well and let me know your opinion.
Also see my page: bostaditurkiet.net

Anonymous said...

I guess...sometimes if I hear a song in annother language, I want to learn both that language and an English version...but sometimes there is no English version :P And, yah, it's pretty sad that the only time you really hear instramentals anymore is around Christmas time...but hey! It's Christmas time right now!

Susan said...

Would you believe I never knew there were words to "The Greatest Love of All" until AFTER Whitney Houston died?

Anonymous said...

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you
should publish more about this subject, it might not be a
taboo matter but typically folks don't speak about such topics. To the next! Best wishes!!
Feel free to visit my web site ; speed up my computer