Monday, November 19, 2012

Latin. Duh.

Since I know some Latin (less that 1,000 words), I sometimes have major "duh" moments, when I figure out what a word means.

For example, I was at a gas station that asked me if I wanted to use credit or debit.  I always forget the difference between the two, and I was trying to remember which one is which.  Then I remembered that "debit" literally means "owe" in Latin, as in "Marcus owes me a pizza"--Marcus debit me pizza.

I still don't know the difference between a credit card and a debit card, but I felt really stupid for not realizing the two words mean "loan" and "owe".

The other day, I was thinking about Aurora Borealis, or the Northern Lights.  I spent about a minute trying to translate Aurora Borealis into English, when I suddenly realized that it literally means "northern lights".  That was another big "duh" moment for me.  Also, I felt dumb for trying to translate something which is already translated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debit cards are linked to your checking account; therefore, when you use a debit card, you are paying with money you already have. Or, you should have anyway. You don't owe monthly payments on a debit card, because the money has already been paid.

Credit cards aren't linked to anything, so you are borrowing money every time you use one and then have to pay it back, hence the monthly payments and sky high interest.

And that is the difference between the two.

Anonymous said...

Latin is not dead. :)

Anonymous said...

credit card has a limit like $500,000 to spend. a debit card has what ever you have in the bank and if you spend more you get a fee and keep getting them until you get money

Anonymous said...

Micheal, you are so intellegent, I think your brain just over thinks the simple things. Relax and it will come to you. Love you cause you make me laugh, even at the worst times.

Anonymous said...

I took Latin in 8th grade and as far as I know you have place the verb at the end of a sentence. Marcus me pizza debit.