I have no problems annoying you blog readers, so here's my analysis of The Crystal Empire two-parter.
- The plot is that the Crystal Ponies have become depressed amnesiacs. So our heroes have to save them all, by putting on a historical fair. Makes sense to me!
- Princess Luna is super-grumpy during the exposition scene. Really? Girl, you only get one scene per season; you need to make yours count.
- Shining Armor is the worst unicorn ever. At the start of the first episode, he gets black stains on his horn, and that stops him from doing anything else for the entire two-parter. It never occurs to him that he can, you know, wash the stains off.
- To put things in perspective: Shining Armor is a Mary Sue. He's a Prince, Captain of the Royal Guard and the most powerful (male) unicorn in the entire world. But a little dirt on his horn manages to stop him cold for two episodes. Worst unicorn ever!
- During the big climax, Shining Armor picks up his exhausted wife and throws her at the villain. I kid you not. WORST UNICORN EVER.
- No, wait, throwing his wife at the villain actually kills the villain. Woah! Maybe that was Shining Armor's plan all along. Best unicorn ever?
- They end the episode with a pun, a song, and the Mysterious Book of Foreshadowing. I approve.