Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Road Trip (Part 9): Pierre

You know what I like about my road trip?  For the first time ever, I get to be in charge of what happens.  Man, this sure is a change from the other long trips I've been on.  I can still remember the road trip my family did when I was younger.  Dad was intent on driving 10+ hours a day, and he refused to take any breaks at all.  This included bathroom breaks, which basically made it the worst road trip ever.

But now I can take breaks whenever I want, and I can take detours.  And that's most of what happened on the next day of my trip.  Mount Rushmore was exhausting, and I needed an "off" day to relax and recuperate.  So instead of leaving Pierre early in the morning, as originally planned, I gave myself an hour-long break, because I felt like it.

What did I do?  I went to see the State Capitol Building and the surrounding area, which has a nice lake and memorials for all the veterans of South Dakota.  They also had memorials for the police, fire fighters and emergency meidcal team members who died in the line of duty.

Part of the veterans memorial

The capitol building

They also had the Fighting Stallions Memorial, made in honor of eight people (including the governor) who died in a plane crash. I don't mean to criticize, but when I look at the mouths of the two stallions, I get the sense they're doing something other than fighting.


Nearby was the governor's mansion, which I thought was really exciting, because you could tell a real person lived there.  The owner had a dirty car, a basketball hoop and everything, just like a normal person.  In my home state of California, it is the complete opposite.  The governors have all refused to live in the Governor's Mansion since 1967, and now it's just a stuffy museum.  I'm glad to see at least one governor in the United States lives in the mansion his taxpayers paid for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get to see the eternal flame in Pierre? When we were there, it was out! So much for eternal. . .

Anonymous said...

loooks like your having fun. have fun in disney world

Anonymous said...

Haha those kissing horses