Saturday, October 13, 2012

Road Trip (Part 6): Montana

Montana grew on me, the second day that I was there.  True, I spent most of my time driving through it, but the scenery is rather nice.  It switches from grand forests to rocky mountains to yellow plains, and there were a lot of places I wanted to stop the car and take pictures.

There were two rather cool things I saw while driving. The first was a group of feral horses, which inspired me to buy a Montana horse shirt.  The shirt shows the feral horses, galloping majestically across the plains.  The horses I saw, though, were just drinking water from a stream.  Not very exciting, but hey, at least I saw them!  All the other horses I saw--and there were a lot of them--were your typical domesticated horses, in pens.

The second cool thing I saw while driving was a super-long train with over 100 (empty) coal cars.  The train engineer blew his whistle when I bypassed him.  Having a train blow its whistle at you is fun.

My stop in Montana was Billings, which was completely dead when I arrived.  Apparently, everyone in town takes Sunday afternoons off; 90% of the places were closed.  I could take pictures of government buildings and htings like that, but I couldn't actually go inside them.

Billings does not discriminate against people, when it comes to giving haircuts.

I had lunch at a place called Hooligan's, or something like that.  It's a typical Irish-style pub, mixed with a sports bar.  I ordered their signature burger, which was utterly fantastic.  It's too bad that I wasn't also able to try their special Napoleon Dynamite meal:


Unexpectedly, the waitress and I made a real connection with each other.  It's been years since I felt a romantic spark with a complete stranger like that.  If I wasn't from another city, I probably would have asked for her name and number.  Well, okay, maybe I wouldn't have been so straightforward, but I would have done something.  But as it was, I just let her know that I was leaving town in a half hour, and she seemed disappointed to learn we'd never see each other again.

Make of that what you will.  By now, I've already forgotten what she looks like.  Anyway, after my meal, I drove east out of Montana.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh micheal thats too bad that you had to leave:P

Miriam said...

Maybe the waitress plays Nancy Drew and she'll find you online! :O
If anyone reading this comment lives in Montana, go to that pub and bring the pretty waitress a really hard Nancy Drew game!! xD

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! Micheal! So cute!

Anonymous said...

That's adorable! :p

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so sweet in a very sad way.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else notice that about half of the foods on that menu have beer batter in them?

Diana Gray said...

...That's going into 101010, you can count on that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the 4th Anonymous, it's sweet in a sad way. Michael weren't you a priest, or at least on the way of becoming one?

Millicent the Magnificent Memory Machine said...

Aww, Mike. You should have written down your Youtube username and had her look you up. ;)

Emma said...

Michael you are too cute you shouldve gotten her #!