Thursday, October 11, 2012

Road Trip (Part 4): Her Interactive

On the morning of my day in Washington, I visited a company in Bellevue.


Visiting the company that makes Nancy Drew games was, of course, more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  Megan Gaiser, one of the CEOs, personally led the tour.  Someday, I would love to have a massive interview with her, in which I ask her a ton of questions about the series.  There are so many interesting things I wouldn't mind learning more about, such as Hannah Gruen's role in the third game, why the culprit in the fourth game quotes a Madonna song, and the Poppy Dada sequence in the sixth game.  I think I could easily come up with three to four questions per game.

But I was overwhelmed during my trip there, and I couldn't think of any questions.  Well, not true.  The only question I could think of was "Why is Creature of Kapu Cave so much shorter than the other games?".  I didn't ask that question, though, because I thought it sounded kind of mean.

When I saw their awards room, I did ask if all the games in the series won a golden award.  They have, except for Secret of Shadow Ranch, which was disqualified for having a technical glitch.  Megan was instantly impressed (and maybe a bit weirded out) that I was instantly able to tell her what the game-breaking glitch is.  It's a glitch where the game gets stuck on Day 2 and never moves on to Day 3, making it impossible to end the game.

Megan took me around the offices, and she introduced me to everyone.  They all seem like really good people, and Jared in particular seemed rather funny.  It surprised me to learn that some of them really enjoyed my blind playthrough of Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen.  They requested a blind playthrough for Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device when it comes out, so that means I have to do it now.

After the tour, I did an interview with Little Jackalope, in their conference room.  They have a sizeable collection of Nancy Drew books.  I must confess, I haven't see the entire video yet, because I've been too busy, on my road trip.  Plus, I was there when the interview took place, so I kind of know what happened.



After the interview, I joined the staff in an Egyptian-themed board game. I'm not so good at board games, and I lost in the third round when one of the artists called my bluff.  Oh well; it was still a fun trip.

14 comments:

rocksrollsrules said...

You got led around the HeR offices by Megan Gaiser herself! Truth: best day of your life?!

Virginia said...

You lucky thing. Going to HER Interactive has always been one of my dreams.

Justice said...

Uh-oh! The HER staff specially requested a blind playthrough of The Deadly Device? Yep, you're stuck on that one, Michael. *imitates Nancy's panicked voice when she gets caught in one of the end-of-game traps* "There's no way out!" :D

Anyway, that has to've been so cool for you, to visit Her Interactive. And personally, I would've been surprised if you HADN'T known what the glitch in SHA was - I mean, considering what you're internet-famous for. :)

Anonymous said...

:)))))))

Anonymous said...

What did the donut taste like? :)

Emma said...

That sounds so amazing, Michael! I'm jealous.

Stephan rose said...

Megan Gaiser? More like Megan GEYSER that's gonna go off and drown the competition!

Anonymous said...

was the game by any chance wadjet? i have that game and love it! can't wait to play the deadly divice!

Anonymous said...

Haha that's awesome!
And you WILL do a blind walkthrough for The Deadly Device ;)

Balin said...

What's the Shadow Ranch glitch? I remember watching your walkthrough but I don't remember the error.

Nana Cupcake said...

OH MY GOD!! THAT'S SOO AWESOME, MICHAEL!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing...

Lily Zarrella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lily Zarrella said...

OMG I LOVE DAYS OF OUR LIVES TOO! I have watched it for two years now..So glad Stephano's back!