Monday, October 29, 2012

Road Trip (Part 15): Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri

After going to the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help, I drove south through Wisconsin. The weather turned horrible, and it got very stormy.  While I drove, two towns in Wisconsin caught my eye.  Cheboygan got my attention because that's a funny name.  Milwaukee got my attention because it seemed like a great place.  It seemed about five times better than Green Bay was; if I ever visit Wisconsin again, that's where I'd like to go.

South of Wisconsin is Illinois.  I tried my best to avoid Chicago and its horrible toll roads of doom. They will charge you two dollars to get on the main freeway, and then charge you two dollars to get off the same freeway. That's bogus, Chicago. I had a minor misadventure trying to get Chicago pizza, which was a total failure. As a result, I was hungry AND eight miles out of the way, in Deerfield. It took a half hour for me to get back on track, what with the bad traffic and the toll road avoidance.

So...yeah, it was not a nice day, due to stormy weather, bad tolls, traffic and getting lost.  I managed to find my relatives, however, and we had a nice dinner together.  The next day was slightly better, although it was still quite stormy.

I drove to St. Louis that day, and about the only exciting thing I did was visit an antique market where I purchased four Nancy Drew books.  I also visited the Shrine of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, in Saint Charles.  The shrine was a huge disappointment; it's basically a small church with her tomb inside. It is completely barren; the clock on the wall is one of the nicest things there.  I did manage to peek into the locked basement area, and I caught a glimpse of statues and an official Vatican declaration.  Why don't they have those interesting things in the shrine itself?

The shrine is connected to Sacred Heart Academy, which St. Rose Duchesne worked at.  It is still a fully functioning school.  The school had much better things to see than the shrine did.  Funny how that worked out.

I spent the night at the Crowne Plaza hotel, which was way too classy for my tastes.  So instead, I wandered around for a few blocks, until I found a sports bar.  That night, the Saint Louis Cardinals (baseball team) were competing in the Wild Card game.  That's a game where the two best teams who didn't make the playoffs compete against each other, and the winner gets into the playoffs.  The Cardinals won, and of course, it was a lot of fun celebrating the big playoff game in St. Louis with actual St. Louis fans.

Tourist warning: Do not get the St. Louis Blues Bleu Cheeseburger, which is tiny, expensive and not tasty.

3 comments:

Aaron M. Fugate said...

After living in Wisconsin for 10 1/2 years, I have the opposite view of Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Anonymous said...

What's baseball lol

jammingal141 said...

You went to Illinois? You should have visited me! Ha ha! Just kidding. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself! Happy trails!