Thursday, October 18, 2012

Road Trip (Part 10): South Dakota

Since I stayed an extra hour in Pierre, South Dakota, I had to change my route that day.  Instead of heading northeast to Minneapolis, I went east and then north.  Unexpectedly, this took me through Amish territory.  It wasn't very exciting; all I saw were grain fields.  I didn't even know it was Amish territory until I saw the signs and things on the way out.

My new route also took me past the Fatima Family Shrine, a place that I didn't know existed.  It's an amazing shrine, considering that it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  The local priest went all the way to Fatima (Portugal) to get the blessing from their Bishop to create the shrine.

My favorite part of the area was the large statue for the 20th century martyrs.  It had a list of when and where Catholicism was illegal (and usually punished by the death penalty) during the 1900's.  Even if you don't count the Nazis and the Communists, who killed more Catholics than anyone else in that century, the list is very long.

The people on top of the statue include Blessed Pope John Paul II, Blessed Miguel Pro, Saint Edith Stein and Saint Maximilian Kolbe

The largest and best Virgin of Guadalupe statue I've ever seen

President Reagan gave his approval to the shrine.

In the nearby Carmelite Monastery, someone took creative liberties with the stations of the cross and replaced Saint John (on right) with Pope John Paul II.

Most Catholic churches have a crucifix on the wall near the altar (as opposed to other denominations, who only have a bare cross). It is rare to see one with such graphic detail.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats very grafic. thats one reason i could never finish watching pasion of the christ because it was too sad to see Jesus died on the cross for all of us. :P. beautiful pictures though!!!!

Miriam said...

As soon as I saw "Fatima" I couldn't help but think of the dorky costumed person in Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. xD

Anonymous said...

Yeah I thought of Fatima too, and her large head. And her obnoxious voice.

Anonymous said...

Despite of just about all troubles, it really is still possible to find free of charge
songs bed sheet on the internet.
Visit my weblog : Rapidshare Download

Anonymous said...

Several, like Royal prince, have taken in order
to giving their own collections out free of charge in an attempt to at
least supervise the actual supply of the function. The most famous strategy in order to fight the web?
Also visit my webpage Download movies