Sunday, October 7, 2012

Captain Underpants #9

When I was at the Mall of America, I noticed they had signed copies of the ninth Captain Underpants book.  I had no idea this book was finally written, so I purchased it and read it.  Did I like it?

Well, before I can tell you that story, I have to tell you this story.

Book #8 was a solid book, in which our heroes visited the Evil Universe, where everything is the opposite of what it normally is.  They faced off and defeated their evil twins.  The first part of the book was good, but the second half was kind of...off.

It turns out there was a behind-the-scenes power struggle, or something along those lines.  The author was forced to completely redo the second half of the book, which was deemed "too violent".  The author had said two character would die in this book; all deaths were completely written out.  That explains why the second half of the book kind of feels different from the first half; they were done separately.

The rewrite of the eighth book caused it to be delayed a lot.  Instead of being released a year after Book 7, it was released three years later.  And now, six years later, we have Book 9.  Again, I have to think this book is completely different from what the author originally intended.  That's almost inevitably the case, given that the title was first announced over ten years ago.

Captain Underpants #9 starts out rather interesting.  It makes you think that the book is going to be a wacky time-travel adventure, starring Captain Underpants and the villain from Book #4. But then the story slows down a bit, before making a complete U-turn.  The titular plotline gets tossed to the side, only to be picked up again at the very end to create a cliffhanger.

The majority of the book is a prequel story that takes place four years before the first book.  It's 150 pages about how George and Harold first met, then defeated some bullies.  It's a good story, and the illustrations are particularly well-done.  But it just feels kind of off to me.  Fun story?  Yes.  A Captain Underpants story?  No.  The Captain only appears for a half-chapter, tops, in this book.  Maybe they should have released the prequel story as a separate book, rather than part of the main series.  Or maybe they could have done a better job of framing it as "this book is just a prequel story, not part of the current plotline".

7 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you're already in Minnesota! I hope you liked it (I'm from MN...lol). :)

Anonymous said...

If some one desires expert view regarding blogging and site-building afterward i advise
him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the nice job.
My weblog Movingandshippingplanet.Com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you
can be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and definitely
will come back someday. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice holiday
weekend!
Here is my webpage ; extravaganta-atelier.ro

Anonymous said...

Hola! I've been reading your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the great job!
Also visit my web page :: http://www.boscarol.com/wiki/index.php?title=Utente:AlexisCon

Anonymous said...

Hello are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm
trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Feel free to visit my site ... wiki.kspu.karelia.ru

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for
your further write ups thank you once again.
Feel free to visit my blog www.barcamp-bordeaux.com

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about a.
Look at my webpage ; Wiki.Rs.Uni-Heidelberg.De