Monday, September 24, 2012

Popular Book Series

A while ago, Fanfiction.net implemented a new "popularity" feature, which allows you to sort things according to popularity.  That way, your reading list won't be as likely to get clogged with books or movies you've never heard of.  It's not a perfect system--it basically ignores most popular works that were made before the Internet--but it's still kind of interesting.

So let's take a look at the ten most popular books, as decided by how many fanfics people have written for them:
  1. Harry Potter (612,223)
  2. Twilight (201,237)
  3. Hunger Games (24,781)
  4. Maximum Ride (16,517)
  5. Warriors (13,627)
  6. Gossip Girl (9,340)
I've read four of these series: Harry Potter, Narnia, Percy Jackson and Lord of the Rings.  I've heard of Twilight and Hunger Games; I have no idea what the others are.  I guess that sets me below par.

Just looking at the list, it seems that the trend is towards fantasy books, as opposed to, I dunno, mystery novels.  Poor Nancy Drew doesn't show up until #46 on the list.  And the list seems to indicate that a series of books is more popular than just an individual book.  I suppose that explains why every popular book or movie tends to get an automatic sequel.

Isn't Phantom of the Opera a play?  As in, an actual opera?  I remember taking a field trip to see it once, when I was in middle school.  We decided that watching people sing in foreign languages wasn't our cup of tea.

1 comment:

Elentarien said...

Actually, Phantom of the Opera was a novel LONG before it was a play, movie or . . .actual opera. Written by Gaston Leroux in 1911. If you're interested, you can get the novel at Project Gutenburg and read it. To my knowledge, its got movies, plays, the book and Andrew Lloyd Webber's opera, but no other operas. I could be wrong on that, however.

And seriously? You have never heard of the Chronicles of Narnia? Shameful! Well, ok, thats drastic. :) But seriously, its a childhood classic!You should get them sometime and read!

As for Nancy Drew. . .I sort of see why that one is so low on the list. The books, honestly, are a bit simplistic for adults. At 37, I have not been able to really read one since I was about 16. I've tried a few times, but they're almost painfully simple. Personally, I'd LOVE it if someone could pick up and write more adult novels - using the same basic formula, and the same characters. They wouldn't even, necessarily, have to make the characters older (although they could, I guess). Just. . .flesh out the plots, and make them a bit more complicated. On the other hand, if the characters were somewhat older, the danger factor could be ramped up a little too, so Nancy could be in REAL danger. (And escape, of course. :))