Nancy left Rachel's room. Rachel made a good point. Nancy really hadn't done much investigation into the identity of the Black Cat. That was mainly because Nancy was distracted, trying to find Rita Hallowell's treasure.
Nancy decided to resume her investigation, and she pulled out her...
1. Mel Corbalis, pink-loving goth cellist. She is in a club that meets a midnight, wearing cloaks.
2. Izzy Romero, student body president. She runs the club that meets at midnight, wearing cloaks.
3. Rachel Hubbard. She is secretly two people. Call me crazy, but I think most students are one person.
4. Leela Yadav, sports superstar. Seems incapable of doing anything unrelated to air hockey.
5. Corine Meyers, my roommate. Socially isolated, with subconscious desires to get back at her peers.
6. Becca S., French transfer student. I keep getting text messages about this girl. Who is she?
"Really, it could be any one of these students," Nancy said. "But I haven't talked with Corine for a while. I should see what's up with her."
Nancy went back to her room and started a conversation with Corine.
"Hey, Corine, how are things going with the library?" Nancy asked.
"Horrible," Corine said. "Somebody destroyed three Special Collections cabinets, and we had to pay to get them replaced. It used up our entire budget!"
"What a shame," Nancy said. "Hey, I heard that something you wrote won an award! Congrats!"
"Yes, it was a short story I wrote about a lonely girl who goes to a school where everyone ignores her," Corine said. "It slowly causes her to become filled with rage at her classmates, and she attacks them all, one by one, disguising her actions as the work of a criminal called the White Dog."
"Er...that's great," Nancy said. "But I was talking about your essay."
"Oh, that," Corine said. "Yeah, I didn't think my paper was that great, but for some reason, the entire faculty went gaga over it. I'll copy it onto a flash drive for you. But could you do me a favor first?"
"Sure," Nancy said.
"I'm absolutely starving," Corine said. "And since you're snack shop boss, why don't you get me something to eat? Soon as you do that, I'll get you the essay."