Monday, August 6, 2012

Movie Expiration Dates

I've mentioned this before, but I don't see a lot of movies.  Some people say they need to see a movie on opening day, and I just don't understand that feeling.  I prefer to see a movie for the first time, five weeks after it gets released.  That way, the theater is half-empty, so I can get good seating and I can show up fifteen minutes late in order to skip the previews. Yes!

The downside to this method is that I tend to forget I wanted to see a certain movie, until it's too late.  But then again, I can always wait another six months and pick it up at my local library.

Just recently, one of my friends pointed out another downside to this method: people seem to think there's an expiration date on fun.  You can only talk about a certain movie during the three weeks that it's topical, but if you talk about it after that, everyone will look at you funny because ugh, that's old.

I guess that would explain why people want to see a movie on opening day.  If they can only enjoy or talk about a movie for a certain time frame, then it makes some sense to want to see the movie at the start of the time frame, for maximum enjoyment.  But it still strikes me as strange.  I mean, I read books that are years old, all the time.  But when I see movies that are weeks old, suddenly, people act like I'm a behind-the-times loser.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never understand my friends when they go and see the midnight premieres of new movies. Who can enjoy a movie the fullest in the wee hours of the morning?

Anonymous said...

I saw the very first showing of Spider-Man cause I've been waiting for it ever since I heard there was going to be a re-boot and Spider-Man's my all-time favorite comic book and also I liked watching it with other Spider-Man fans who appreciated it! ^_^ It's a good thing I saw it earlier too! The second time I went to see it with my friend, some parents decided to bring their ENTIRE family and sit behind us. I think there was about 5 kids and they were probably about 2-8 years old and they would NOT stop talking...-_-" One of the little girls even blew through her straw at my friend and the baby started to cry as well, but the mom didn't do anything about it...-_-"

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should go within 2 weeks on opening day. There won't be as many people, and make sure you remind yourself to watch the movie by writing notes or something.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I know how you feel. I love reading classic literature, listening to music that is years old and watching classic, black and white movies and most of my friends thinks it's weird! And I hate it when there is a really good new song and everyone loves it, and then its a month old and no one listens to it because "it's old". Hahaha, I'll never understand.

Donita said...

I hate the cinema experience nowadays and always wait for the DVD to come out. I want to watch without interruption and with breaks when I want. I don't want to walk out with my ears ringing from the volume, and with someone else's popcorn stuck down my neck. I like to think this delayed gratification is character building, rather than just lame. I think anyone who buys into the notion that we need to all rush to see a new film is being manipulated by the film industry; that's lame. If its a good film it'll still be good in a years time.

Donita said...

Also I love flipping through the cheap DVDs and suddenly finding one I meant to see but didn't, and then getting it for less than half price. That's exciting even before you've seen the film.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, it doesn't work with real masterpieces. Gone With The Wind of Shawshank Redemption will never be too old to watch or talk about