Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Clone Movies

Time for a blog post again?  Man, with the chapters of Warnings at Waverly Academy automatically being uploaded every other day, I'm getting kind of lazy about updating this blog.

So today, I think I'll talk about clone movies, which are basically two near-identical movies that get released around the same time.  Like a few years back, when there was an animated movie about surfing penguins (Surf's Up), which came out at the same time as an animated movie about dancing penguins (Happy Feet).

I think the first time I noticed this was in 1998, when A Bug's Life and Antz both came out.  They were the 2nd and 3rd computer-animated movies, and they both were about ants.  I thought it was weird then, and I think it's weird now.  Why release such similar movies so close together?

And this year we had two Snow White movies--Snow White and the Huntsman and Mirror, Mirror.  When it comes to computer animation, it looks like we've got three monster-themed movies coming up (Paranorman, Hotel Transylvania, Frankenweenie).  I guess Halloween is going to be big this year.

I don't have a point to make, other than I am confused as to why movie studios sometimes copy each other simultaneously.  You'd think that would be a bad business strategy, which cuts into the profits for both films.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed the monster movies and the snow white themed ones, I guess movie makers do what they think is "in" right now, so maybe Monster and snow White themes are popular? IDK...

Flashman85 said...

And let's not forget Dante's Peak and Volcano, or Red Planet and Mission to Mars.

Nauttilus said...

Gotta go with the nonny mouse up there. It's probably a combination of what the experts suspect audiences will be interested in and a healthy dose of "Anything you can do, we can do it better." People like to try and escape reality when in tight economic situations, thus fairy tales become a popular theme. You can probably add the TV shows Grimm and Once Upon a Time to that list as well.

I'll be a bit more lenient towards Frankenweenie since it's a remake. :P