Friday, August 3, 2012

Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone

In the news recently, Bishop Salvatore Cordileone has been appointed as the new Archbishop of San Francisco.  Bishop Sal has been the Bishop of Oakland for the past few years, and he is going to replace Archbishop George Niederauer, who is retiring.

I remember Bishop Sal from two years ago.  He came to St. Patrick's Seminary to oversee the institution of lectors or some other such seminarian-based liturgy, and I was assigned as one of the lead sacristans.  He seemed like a pretty nice person, and I can remember him teaching Jose how to remove the Bishop's miter in the right way, without disturbing the skull cap.

In layman's terms, he taught Jose how to take off the big Bishop's hat.  It was funny watching them practice that.  And of course, that's all I remember about the Bishop.  I can't remember his homily at all; I can only remember Jose accidentally knocking off his hat during practice.

Now Bishop Sal is going to be Archbishop, which basically means that he's the Bishop of San Francisco, but in case of any emergencies, he has power over other dioceses in the province.  For example, if the Bishop of Fresno dies suddenly, without any successor, the Archbishop becomes the temporary Bishop by default.

I'm sure there are other aspects to being Archbishop, as opposed to just being Bishop, but I only learned about his powers in emergency situations which rarely occur.

I wish Bishop Sal luck in his new assignment as Archbishop.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

im pretty sure theres no comments because no one undestood that very well

Isabelle said...

Yeah.. I didnt quite understand that XD

Aaron M. Fugate said...

I'm glad I'm a Baptist!

Anonymous said...

@Isabelle I have to admit, im kinda the same (;

Anonymous said...

but..... i got some of it- just some (;

Anonymous said...

I think out of all the commenters, I'm the only one who understood this. LOL

Anonymous said...

Is Michael a Catholic?