Saturday, July 21, 2012

WWA, Chapter 52

I couldn't think of anything to write about today--it's too hot--so here's Chapter 52 of Weirdness at Waverly Academy instead of a blog post. Today, Nancy learns about the Blackwood Society.

---

"So, tell me," Nancy said. "Why were you with a bunch of other girls last night, wearing cloaks and chanting?"

Mel scowled. "None of your business," she said.

"Do you want me to tell the headmistress about it?" Nancy asked.

"Fine," Mel sighed. "You don't tell anyone about this, and I won't tell anyone you're really an undercover detective."

"Deal," Nancy said. "Unless, you know, you are the Black Cat, and this has something to do with it."

"It has nothing to do with the Black Cat," Mel promised. "What you saw was a meeting of the Blackwood Society. It's a secret club that someone at Waverly founded, shortly after the school started. Only seven girls a year get to be members."

"It's...a club?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah, we meet about once a month," Mel said. "Everyone wears a black cloak, except the leader. Hers is light blue. We meet by the oak tree and chant for twenty minutes. That's it."

"That's it?" Nancy asked.

"Yes," Mel said. "There's no talking or socializing, and everyone whispers, so you can't tell who they are. We literally just stand in a circle and chant about numbers for a while. Nothing else."

Nancy thought about this for a moment. Either Mel was telling the truth, or she was telling the weirdest cover story ever.

"It's the truth!" Mel said. "I know it seems strange, but personally, I like all the secrecy and anonymity. The unknown is something I've always felt...drawn to."

Nancy shook her head. "Let me get this straight," she said. "The Blackwood Society is a top-secret club at Waverly Academy."

"That's right," Mel said. "Not even the teachers know about it."

"You meet once a month, under the oak tree, at midnight," Nancy said. "Why meet so late, at such an out-of-the-way location?"

"We do it for privacy," Mel said. "That way, nobody outside the club will accidentally see or overhear a meeting."

"I found out about the club on my first day here, so you guys might want to rethink your privacy policy," Nancy pointed out. "So at these top secret midnight meetings, everyone wears a cloak to hide their identities."

"Actually, we wear cloaks because it gets cold at night during the winter," Mel said.

"Oh," Nancy said. That made a lot of sense. "And during these meetings...the only thing you do is chant about numbers."

"Yes," Mel said.

"...For twenty minutes," Nancy said.

"I know it sounds suspicious, but I swear it's true," Mel said.

"I believe you," Nancy said. "However, I've got one more question."

Mel cringed. "Yes, Detective Drew?" she asked.

Nancy gave a huge grin. "How do I join this club?" she asked enthusiastically. "This sounds like the coolest club ever!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Nancy, how do I join!? xD Still going strong! :3

Anonymous said...

Haha the last part was funny!:) I love all of these funny little additions you add to the story. I agree with you when you said the first part was kind of slow, but now I'm really starting to enjoy it!

JenMarie said...

Your story is great Michael! Warnings at Waverly Academy was my favorite Nancy Drew game of all. Thank you for bringing it to life ;)