Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Nancy Drew Kickstarter

According to Facebook, Her Interactive is going to start a Kickstarter campaign on August 7.  Kickstarter is basically a fundraiser website that videogame companies have been using recently.  The idea is that Kickstarter helps companies get funding for games which are hard to fund.

For example, let's say someone at Disney wanted to make another game in the Duck Tales series.  Well, I don't think Disney would be willing to pay money for Duck Tales 3.  They'd see the project as a risky venture which is likely to lose money, seeing as the last game in the series and the TV show it's based on have been dead for over 15 years.

So the Nancy Drew company is going to have a Kickstarter now. Presumably, it's for a game that is hard to fund because it has a risk of being unsuccessful.  My guesses are these:
  • Nancy Drew Dossier: Ship of Shadows.  This game was cancelled at one point, and maybe they want to see if there's enough interest in the game before they resume progress on making it.
  • Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger: Remastered.  Someone on Facebook suggested it, and I guess that's possible.
  • Nancy Drew: [Insert Any Game Here] for a non-computer platform, like the iPad or the Wii.  The last few attempts to port Nancy Drew games to other systems (Message in a Haunted Mansion GBA, Curse of Blackmoor Manor DVD, White Wolf of Icicle Creek Wii) don't seem to have been hugely successful, so I could see the company being reluctant to try another port.
  • Some Game Not Starring Nancy Drew At All.  Are people interested in seeing them make a game without Nancy Drew in it?
What game(s) do you think they could be Kickstarting?  Or, could it be possible that they're not Kickstarting a game at all?  Maybe they want to make a movie or start a band or something.  I would buy their CD, if they made a Nancy Drew band!

14 comments:

JenMarie said...

Hi Michael! What a great idea ;) I was just thinking how cool it would be if they remastered a few of the old ND pc games such as 'Message in a Haunted Mansion' or 'Secret of the Scarlet Hand'. LOL about the ND band ~ I would buy the cd too!

Anonymous said...

I seriously hope it's Ship of Shadows. . .please HeR, please!

Christi said...

I'd totally buy the CD. It would be awesome. It would be cool if they could get Lani Minella to be the vocalist. If she sings. :D
I actually hope it's the remastered Stay Tuned for Danger. I'm curious to see how that would turn out and how they'd make it different from the original (like with what they did with Secrets Can Kill).

Anonymous said...

i gotta love you michael(:

Inky said...

I believe that they should most definitely make all the the ND games for Ipad and Ipod touch, but I could see why it may drain more of the money than actually Make money from it.

Emily said...

I think Her made a Vampire Diaries game long before they started making Nancy Drew games. To me, it seems like they might be exploring non-Nancy Drew games for this Kickstarter business.

My vote would be for remastered games, however. I love being able to play the newer games on my Mac!

Stephan rose said...

I hope it's STD. I never got to play it. :(

Thenwink said...

A remastered STFD would be nice, as would be Ship of Shadows, but if they started on a Hardy Boys series? ...I would totally buy it!

Anonymous said...

Thenwink,there is a hardy boys game series.

Emma said...

a nancy drew cd? BEST THING EVER!

Thenwink said...

Anonymous below me, I'm aware of that. :) But they aren't made by Herinteractive, and I thought they were really pretty lame compared to Herinteractive's games. ;)

So, I was thinking that it would be really nice if HeR also made a Hardy Boys series; as they do such a good job on all their games. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope it's Ship of Shadows or maybe it's the second app for the iPod/iPad game book called Castle Finster. Anyway, I can't wait! =] Your post made my day!!!! :D
- K.C.

Hadley said...

i hope they remaster stay tuned for danger!its my fave game ever!

Sharon Rose said...

I really hope they're using it to remake Stay Tuned for Danger! Since they stopped selling it on their website! :)