Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kingdom Hearts and Disney Movies

Ha, I got a lot of comments on yesterday's post about Kingdom Hearts 3DS. I guess that means either Kingdom Hearts or Disney movies are popular with my readers.

Anyway, here are my responses to various comments!
  • I have never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, and I don't really want to because it looks weird/creepy.  I say that about every Tim Burton movie.
  • You know, I think it's just plain cruddy that you have to play every Kingdom Hearts game, in order to understand the series.  I don't have time to find last-gen games and play them all the way through!  I much prefer Nancy Drew, where you can pick up any game in the series and start playing it, even if you haven't played the others.
  • Yes, my 10-year-old self didn't like The Hunchback of Notre Dame because the main character was ugly.  It's funny how that completely goes against the moral to the story.  But that's the truth, and I'm not going to lie to make myself look better.  I honestly disliked the movie because the main character was unpleasant to look at.  Plus, I didn't understand the plotlines about gypsies and sanctuaries and the villain with a weird hat.  Maybe that movie is too deep for little kids.
  • Oh, and the narrator guy who sings the opening song!  The Internet tells me that his name is Clopin, and he is the gypsy leader.  Am I the only person who thought he was scarier than the villain of the movie?  Seriously, when he teamed up with Quasimodo to explore tombs or whatever, my young self cringed.  If I was watching the movie at home, not at the theaters, I would have turned it off at that point.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Nightmare Before Christmas is actually, in a strange way, very beautiful. I didn't like it as a kid, but now that I'm older, I appreciate it more. (Now, if only my brother would let me watch it...he's always watching somthing and I can't take the time to watch the recorded movie.) And, yes, Clopin scared me when I was younger. (I actually thought he was the villan! Yikes!)

Anonymous said...

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favorite Disney movies. I liked it OK as a kid, but I watched it again within the past year and I loved it! It's definitely one of the more underrated Disney movies. I'm also like the person above me, I did NOT like The Nightmare Before Christmas as a kid. But, I went to Disneyland at Christmas time one year and the Haunted Mansion was redecorated to follow the movie. That's when I decided I should give the movie another chance, and I actually ended up really liking it.

Anonymous said...

I don't really mind having to go through all the games to understand the story; it is a series with an overarching plotline, after all. The only problem I have with it is the console jumping, but it's not that hard to read what happened in the games online.

Also, KH3D takes care of the problem of not knowing what happened previously in the series through the "Memoirs" section. Basically, it sums up everything you need to know from past games.

If you're interested, here's a summary of the Kingdom Hearts series that's fairly simple and accurate (except for some parts). It can be kinda confusing at times, though, so I don't know how much it'll help. :/

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Anonymous said...

or u can go 2 this website if u dont want play the inbetween games and just 1,2,and 3ds kingdomhearts.wikia.com that will help expain good

Miriam said...

I saw Hunchback for the first time (on YouTube, though it's been taken down now) just a few months ago. I thought it was really creepy for a Disney movie, especially because the bad guy basically sings about his lust for the chick. >_>

Anonymous said...

*Slams hand on desk* GET IT ANY WAY! YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT!!!!!!! Wait...I slammed my hand on a virtual desk...huh. And besides, you really don't haft to go through every single game just to understand, you can just go on the Keyhole, the KH wikia! Sure it would be more fun to play the games but it would take you a while, so I suggest the wikia. And I didn't like Hunchback of Notra Dame or Nightmare Before Christmas when I was little,but Nightmare before Christmas is now a favorite of mine, and I repsect the Hunchback of Notra Dame more now and hope to watch the movie soon. Kingdom hearts is a wonderful game, and it's now a huge part of my life, I play KH Re:coded every day now. It can really touch your heart once you've grown to love the characters. Besides...this new game also might include Port Royal from KH2. :3

Katie said...

I understand the Nightmare Before Christmas comment. I hated it as a child (it terrified me) and I'm still not huge fan of the movie now. However, I think the world in KH is really fascinating/fun to play through. Regarding having to play through all the games, I don't think it's honestly that much of an issue, I just think you appreciate some of the nuances of the "spin-off" games more. I played KH2 without playing Chain of Memories without any problems and loved KH2 more than the original. That being said, I have read through the wikis, etc. to learn about the other games. My biggest gripe with the KH series though, is the console jumping, as someone mentioned earlier. I can't afford to purchase every platform as I am a poooor college student lol. Anyways, I thnk you should at least watch a walktrhough of the games to see if you enjoy them! :)

Katie said...

Also, Hunchback of Notre Dame was terrifying as a child. I remember seeing it, crying, and having to leave the theater...

Anonymous said...

The Nightmare Before Christmas was kinda disturbing - I agree with your judgement on that one.

I myself didn't get The Hunchback of Notre Dame when I was a kid. I'd watch all the way up to the Festival of Fools, then I lost interest. I do remember liking Clopin, though... and the gargoyles. I also remember thinking that Phoebus was the villain. And that was what I thought of the movie until I truly saw it for the first time about a month ago... then I fell in love with it. Especially the music (and Clopin and Quasi's crazy singing voice). Although definitely too deep for kids - so I totally understand what your young self thought of the movie.

And yes, Frollo DOES have a weird hat...

Mandy Winslow said...

I think the Hunchback of Nortre Dame would be good for a slightly older audience. It was originally a book written by Victor Hugo about Claude Frollo, who is the main antagonist in the book and film and his uncontrollable lust for Esmerelda.