Sunday, July 22, 2012

High Security McDonalds

You know, the McDonalds in Menlo Park is probably the most uptight McDonald's I've ever seen.  They have three plaques on the wall.  The first one explains that they have the right to kick you out the building whenever they want.  The other two explain what actions result in getting kicked out.

#1. Customers are allowed only ONE refill per visit.

Maybe there was trouble in the past, where someone would buy a small drink, then spend the next six hours in the building, occasionally refilling the drink as an excuse to stay?  I don't know.  I can't think of a refill-related situation which was so serious that they had to custom-make a plaque to ensure it never happened again.

Personally, the "one refill per visit" rule bugs me.  I don't drink soda at home, so going to a place with soda dispensers is sort of a novel experience for me.  I like to try out all the different sodas--or at least the ones I like--by filling up my cup halfway, drinking it, then filling it with another type of soda.  This rule ruins my ability to try multiple sodas!  It forces me to pick one and stick with it.

#2. Customers may not use the same cup on more than one trip.

In other words, I can't save my plastic cup from last week and use it to get refills this week.  Yes, that makes sense, but how did it become such a serious problem that this McDonalds decided they needed to make a plaque, addressing the issue?  Was there a customer who has been living on the same plastic McDonalds cup for the past five years or something?  There must have been a dastardly criminal called the Serial Refiller, better known as "The Soda Jerk".  He burst into the store, filled up with soda, then dashed away before security could check the expiration date on the cup.  After he had robbed McDonalds of $54 billion in profits, they decided to take action against him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As common as those rules are, the fact that they have PLAQUES ON THE WALL to tell you why they can kick you out is just ridiculous and stupid. You can just as well have a PLAIN. PLASTIC. SIGN that explians the rules. Why do we need plaques?

Anonymous said...

I like plaques. They're shiny. But those rules are stupid, lol im glad I'm not the only one who does that with my pop.

Becki said...

I saw a McDonalds similar to that, with the same rules on the wall! Except they were on big slabs of plastic and the writing was a little chipped. If they're so concerned with the amount of soda you take, why don't they keep the machine behind the counter and fill your cup for you...? I like filling the cup myself, but for them to have to make plaques, they should just switch their system.

Anonymous said...

If you make more than 1 trip to the soda machine, aren't you getting a refill? These rules confuse me.

Alexandra said...

Well, maybe there were a lot of troubles with people in the past, so they were forced to create and apply those rules...

Anonymous said...

In other countries, they keep the filling machine behind the counter. Hopefully, other McDonalds places will be different.

Moriah said...

Wow that McDonalds seems really strict, I've seen the plaques before, No offense or anything their rules are stupid.

-Moriah

Poka said...

I've never liked McDonalds, They say they're stuff is healthy, but the food is full of chemicals, and artificial stuff. Yuck! Anyway, I haven't been in one in years so, I have no idea if that's like in my town's Mcdonalds.

Anonymous said...

wow. that's a lot of security for drink uses for a not very clean restaurant. I seen a big sweaty man in the Mcdonalds kitchen holding bread and etc. with his bare, dirty hands. but don't get me wrong I Love Mcdonald's food, just not their cleanliness.
-A