Monday, July 23, 2012

Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian

Well, Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian has been released.  It's the last book in the Artemis Fowl series, and it's certainly much better than the previous book.  In fact, I think I'll pretend that Book #7 didn't happen.  That book had Artemis acting out-of-character the whole time, the one-chapter adventure in Mexico which lasted for three chapters, and a fairly inconsequential villain.

Book #8 starts things off right, with Artemis being calm and cool and, you know, acting in-character.  It's like they hit the reset button with him, and everyone is happy that he's back to normal.

It's convenient that he gets cured of his psychological trauma at this point in time, because about five minutes later, there's a humongous crisis which could destroy the entire world.  Artemis helps avert some of the damage, but it's merely Step 1 in Opal Koboi's plan for global domination.

Opal's plan is...well, less complicated than her previous endeavors.  The plan consists of setting off a magical bomb, which will instantly kill all humans on Earth.  She spends 90% of the book, picking the lock to the safe which holds the bomb.  It's actually kind of boring, really.  I mean, she stays in one place the whole time, picking a lock.  Don't get me wrong, the scenes she's in are hilarious, but she is definitely not living up to her potential as an evil villainess.

This all takes place at Fowl Manor.  Artemis, Holly and Butler are forced to break out of Haven, then break into Fowl Manor to stop Opal.  Unfortunately for them, Opal has summoned an army of undead warriors to assist her.  (Summoning an army is much easier than picking a lock, apparently).  Our heroes have to contend with the warriors for a good deal of time, in their quest to stop Opal before time runs out.

All in all, it's a good book, on par with the rest of the series.  It's funny and filled with action, and it feels like all the main characters of the series got their own special scene, so everyone had a chance to shine.  I didn't notice any flaws until after I finished reading the book, and I really got caught up with the exciting story.  Fans of the series should love this book, and they'll probably be disappointed it means the series is over now.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I got the first book for Christmas shortly after it came out, which was when I was in like first or second grade. My mom wanted to make sure it was appropriate for me, so she had my brother read it first.
They ended up throwing it away and saying I wasn't allowed to read it, and I never did read it to find out why. :p

Smallgirl23 said...

I can't wait until I get the book. I love the Artemis Fowl series and I hope this is a good conclusion to the series.

JenMarie said...

Hi Michael! These are great books and 'The Last Guardian' sounds like fun! Thanks ;)