Tuesday, June 26, 2012

WWA, Chapter 47

Here's Chapter 47 of Weirdness at Waverly Academy. Today, Nancy solves the music puzzle! And she maybe kinda accidentally reveals her true identity.

---

Nancy finished her Snack Shack duties with no major problems, and she even remembered to get milk and cookies for Mel.

"There, all done!" Nancy said.

Suddenly, a key flew across the counter and landed in front of Nancy.

"HEY!" Nancy said, looking around. "Who's the jerk who threw a key at me when I wasn't looking?"

No one was in sight. Nancy shrugged, then put the key in her pocket. She grabbed the paper bag containing Mel's food, then returned to Mel's room.

"You've got my snack! Awesome!" Mel said.

"Here ya go," Nancy said, handing over the paper bag.

Mel handed over the book about music. "All yours," she said. "Why do you want a book on musical notation, anyway?"

"I need it so I can play the piano downstairs," Nancy said.

Mel looked slightly suspicious, as if Nancy was attempting to steal her role as Waverly's main musician. "Why do you want to play piano?" she asked.

"Uh...um..." Nancy said. "I'm...writing a musical! Yeah, that's it!"

"You're writing a musical," Mel repeated.

"Yeah, it's for the school play I talked about in Chapter 11!" Nancy said enthusiastically. "I'm calling it Warnings at Waverly Academy! It's about an undercover detective named Nancy Drew, who enrolls at Waverly under a fake name."

"Nancy Drew?" Mel asked.

"Yeah, that's my real na—" Nancy began to say. Then she realized she almost blew her cover. "Whoops, I mean, that's the character's name! She's the one who solves the mystery of the Black Cat."

"And just who is the Black Cat?" she asked.

"I dunno," Nancy said. "I haven't written that part yet."

Mel shook her head. "See you later, Nancy," she said.

"Bye, Mel!" Nancy said.

Nancy skipped away from Mel's room. She was halfway down the stairs, when she realized that Mel had called "Nancy".

"Uh oh," Nancy said. "Mel knows my real name."

This wasn't the time to worry about her cover being blown, though; this was the time to solve the musical notation puzzle.

Nancy went back downstairs and took the lampshades off of the lamps. Then she pressed all the right notes, according to the book. It wasn't too difficult; all she had to do was follow the diagram.

When Nancy pressed all sixteen notes in order, a hidden compartment opened, revealing a starburst token.

"That's the second one!" Nancy said, picking it up and doing a little victory dance. "All right!"

No comments: