Sunday, June 24, 2012

Forced Movie Watching

So, recently, I've been talking about forcing other people to watch movies/TV shows.  I mentioned Star Trek in particular, but I easily could have mentioned something else like The Godfather or Beatles music.

My family sort of has a history with forcing people to like things.

I blame Grandma, who forced her children to watch Shirley Temple movies, when they were on TV every Sunday.  The kids literally didn't have a choice, when it came to liking Shirley Temple.

Mom did the same thing her mother did, and she forced her children to like certain movies.  But now that I'm older, I can see that I didn't like the movies; Mom was the one who liked them.  I think I can finally admit that I don't really like Absolutely Fabulous, A Christmas Story or Grease.

Also, Mom, stop quoting the bundt cake scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  I know it is humorous that they mispronounce the word "bundt", but that joke lost its charm about fifty repetitions ago.

Where was I?  Ah, yes, forcing people to watch certain movies and TV shows.  I know I've been complaining about it, but in all honesty, I'm pretty sure I do the exact same thing.  Why, if I had a girlfriend, I would absolutely force her to play Nancy Drew games and watch my complete collection of 6teen DVDs.  And then she'd dump me because I'm a mean, controlling boyfriend.  That's why I haven't had a date in four years.

So really, I don't think I have any right to complain here. I probably push my interests on other people just as much as other people push their interests on me. It's sort of a family tradition at this point.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I thought you hadn't dated anyone recently because you were training to become a priest. ;-)

Miriam said...

I love Shirley Temple movies! :) Honestly, if my boyfriend tried to "force" me to play Nancy Drew games, I'd just love him that much more. :D

Anonymous said...

Every girl's response reading this post:

I WILL LIKE ALL THOSE THINGS, MICHAEL.

Anonymous said...

Also, my mom *always* quotes that "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" scene, too, particuarly when we are, in fact, making bundt cakes.

Alexandra said...

I'd much rather more have a boyfriend that was obssessed with Nancy Drew than Team Fortress 2....-.-

Kara said...

Hahaha If only I had a boyfriend obssesssed with Nancy Drew....

I can forsee problems though. We'd be fighting over who got to play 0_0

Anonymous said...

Now I'm interested about that date of yours four years ago! And, yah, aren't you studying to become a priest?

CharmingCutieSweety♥ said...

Michael you are the sweetest and cutest guy ever!!! any girl would date you =]

Katie said...

I'm quite jealous of your 6teen DVD collection. Also, totally random, but do you like Avatar or the new Legend of Korra? I was just curious. :)

Donita said...

We all do it in my family too. My sister thinks my DVD collection is a bit depressing but won't watch Local Hero, which I know she'd love, because I've hyped it up too much now. I can't think of a more uplifting film, but I'm a bit of a bossy-boots and it backfired. Also both my sisters keep recommending films for my 78 yr old Mum to watch, forgetting all the language and sex scenes, so I have to vet them for her. I guess we all have our own great moments watching films, and just want to share, and we forget someone else will see different things in them. You should date - you'd make a great boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

my mom quotes the bundt thing too! ALL THE TIME. Haha!

Anonymous said...

MICHAEL.
You're girlfriend must be stupid if she broke up with you after being forced to play Nancy Drew games :P

Anonymous said...

Dude, if my boyfriend forced me to play nancy drew games, that would be EPIC!! :D

Anonymous said...

i would do the same thing! I'm forcing my family and friends to watch the Avatar series (which i'm watching right now).
-A

Anonymous said...

I agree with Katie, you should watch the Avatar the last airbender and legend of Korra series. I bet you'ld love it!
-A