Tuesday, May 1, 2012

WWA, Chapter 31

Here's Chapter 31 of Weirdness at Waverly Academy. Today, Nancy talks with Leela.

---

"So, Izzy's your roommate," Nancy said. "How's that working out for you?"

"It's fine," Leela said. "She's not the person I would have picked as my roommate, but since all the valedictorian candidates live in the same hall, that's how the room assignments worked out."

"Who would you have picked?" Nancy asked.

"One of my friends from the soccer team," Leela said. "Izzy doesn't like sports. I have no idea why."

She probably likes sports just fine; she just doesn't like them as much as you do, Miss "Let's Play Air Hockey", Nancy thought.

"Would you say you know her pretty well?" Nancy asked.

"I know enough," Leela said. "I mean, she's smart, she's pretty, she's popular, she's always got a boyfriend. That's Izzy. What more is there to know?"

"Well, according to Megan Vargas—hey, wait," Nancy said. "I need to get a picture of Megan Vargas. I was told that maybe you had one?"

"Sure, I have it in my room," Leela said. "And I'll give it to you if you beat me at a game of air hockey."

Nancy dropped her notebook. "Seriously?" she asked. "You want to play air hockey again? It's not even that fun!"

"You'll enjoy it more than you think," Leela said. "Come on, I'll even give you the first shot!"

Nancy sighed. On the first shot, she wound up her arm and hit the puck as hard as she could. It went flying all the way across the room and into the supply closet.

"Darn!" Nancy said. She ran into the supply closet to get the puck, only she tripped on it and smashed into the back shelf. Packs of chips went flying everywhere, juice spilled all over the floor, and a key somehow got stuck on Nancy's earring.

"OWWWW!" Nancy said.

"Becca, are you okay?" Leela asked. "I forgot to mention, there's a trick to the closet. You can't see anything inside, unless the light switch is on."

"It's a little late for that!" Nancy said angrily. "Besides, I don't see any light switch here!"

"The switch is on the outside," Leela said. "That's how the Black Cat was able to lock Danielle Hayes in the closet, then turn off the lights."

"Ugh," Nancy said, stumbling out of the Safety Hazard Supply Closet. You'd think the school would have at least done something to warn people about the closet, after what happened to Danielle.

"Sorry about that," Leela said. "Did you get the puck?"

"Yes, I got the puck," Nancy said, removing the key from her ear and putting it in her pocket. "This time, you take the first shot."

Two minutes later, Leela won the game of air hockey, scoring seven goals in ten shots. Nancy didn't have any shots at all.

"I win!" Leela said. "You have to beat me in order to get the photo, though. Try again!"

"No, I won!" Nancy said. "After I got the puck, we switched mallets. That means you just scored on yourself seven times!"

"That's not how it—" Leela began to say.

"And now you'll get that picture of Megan for me!" Nancy said. "Gee, thanks! You're a friend!"

Nancy ran away before Leela could object.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol

Anonymous said...

I love how you incorporated that light switch into the story. If you put the concept of that light switch into reality, it seems totally freaky/awesome. :D :D :D