Friday, May 25, 2012

Old Songs

The car I used to have was very old, so it didn't have a CD player.  Instead, it had a tape player.  I wanted to listen to music in the car, so I picked up six or so tapes from a local library sale.  The tape were these:
  • A collection of Disney songs
  • A disco band
  • Vietnamese love songs
  • The Reader's Digest "Classic Memories" collection
I spent most of the time listening to the Disney songs and Reader's Digest collection.  The collection was mostly songs from the 1930's and 40's, like Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You) and The Girl That I Marry.  The songs have invaded my general consciousness, and I usually confuse everyone when I reference them or sing them.

Maybe it's just the collection I had, but most of the older songs had instrumental verses, where the entire band played.  They would put these in, right where the third or fourth verse would go.  I thought that was very interesting, because modern music almost never does this.  The instrumental part of a song nowdays is usually at the very beginning or very end, not right in the middle.  In fact, right off the top of my head, I can't think of a popular song where the vocalist completely disappears for a minute or so.

The instrument selection is also different in the older songs.  They tend to focus on trumpets and other brass instruments.  Wind instruments must have been popular back then.  By contrast, I'm pretty sure modern music almost never focuses on wind instruments.  Instead, the main instrument is usually the drum or the bass.  Those are good for keeping beats, but I find them less exciting.

I lost the tape-playing care in late 2010, and I only just now got around to copying the songs from the tapes onto mp3 files.  It wasn't that difficult; I just played them on an old tape player and put my iPod in front of the speakers to record the songs.

I have no idea how I'm going to sort the old songs.  All I know are the titles. I don't know who any of the bands are, and many of these songs were covered by different bands, so I can't look it up, either.  I'm not even sure if I should sort them alphabetically or not, because that'd be mixing up the three or so tapes in the original collection.

12 comments:

Cat said...

You can get adapters that allow you to play CDs/iPods in tape players. You plug one end into the headphone port, and the other looks like a tie and goes in the slot. Works great!

Zelda said...

Aw, I love older songs! <3 We just got rid of our car that had a tape player a few months ago. We have a *ton* of tapes in my house. -_-
I would tell my parents we should convert our tapes to MP3s, but I think that would confuse/scare them..

Anonymous said...

Yea, older songs rock! I can't listen to what they call "music" nowadays without cringing. And I'm a fifteen year old...

Anonymous said...

Im gonna waver from the crowd and admit- i dont like older songs :/ and i dont like mainstream music even more. The only music i listen to is kpop(korean pop music) it sounds silly, but it's amazing.
Love Song by Big Bang
Sherlock by Shinee
Can't Nobody by 2ne1 (there is an english version of this song)
My 3 fav songs :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! Big band is great. All my friends love rap and Lady Gaga, and I love older music. They don't understand me. haha :P

liam said...

"I just played them on an old tape player and put my iPod in front of the speakers to record the songs."

that must have had a bad effect on the quality of the sound

liam said...

"I just played them on an old tape player and put my iPod in front of the speakers to record the songs."

that must have had a bad effect on the quality of the sound

Alexandra said...

I LOVE older songs!!! I know you live in California, but there's this radio broadcast that streams online on Sundays from 8pm- 12am. It's on wfuv.org/bigbroadcast for anyone interested! :)

Alexandra said...

(And it's only 20s-40s music :))

Donita said...

First - you need a cassette adapter which is a blank cassette you stick in your car stereo, it comes with a lead and iPod jack attached, which sticks out of the mouth of the car stereo. Plug in your iPod and play. Sound quality is very good. Second, download some freeware - Audacity - which allows you to record directly to your computer by attaching the player, via a 3.5mm double ended stereo jack, between the headphone out socket of your cassette player to the stereo in socket on your computer, (although I use the microphone in so I can still hear what I'm recording on my computer speakers. You may only get a mono recording this way) It does record in real time, so it can be laborious, and you do need to do a bit of fiddling to get the tracks separated and labeled but then you can import it into iTunes as an AAC file. (Again a bit of fiddling) It's not perfect but better than recording the way you are currently doing it. Of course, I only do this with music I have previously recorded myself, as changing the format of any pre-recorded music I own is not strictly legal(!!) ;0) Let me know if you need any help.

Donita said...

You are what we refer to in the UK as an Young Fogey. I thoroughly approve. Although, really, Disney? He he. I do have some dance band tracks. I quite like Artie Shaw, The Andrews Sisters, Lou Preager, Oh look I've got Mel Blanc singing I taut I taw a puddy tat. Oh my! How did that get in there?

jammingal141 said...

While I love some music today, I love big bands like Glenn Miller. I totally adore Frank Sinatra ,too. His voice is really incredible. Bernard Herman, who did a lot of Hitchcock movies, has some great compositions.