Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kappa Mikey

On my flight to Chicago, I watched a lot of episodes of Kappa Mikey.  That was a short-lived Nickelodeon series in 2006; they showed about four episodes, and the rest of the show's run was on the Nicktoons channel that shows Dragonball Z Kai.

Kappa Mikey is about an American guy who gets a job working on a Japanese TV show.  Mikey, the American, is drawn like a Flash cartoon character.  All the Japanese characters are drawn anime-style.  It was always visually interesting to have the main character drawn in a completely different style than everything else around him.


I'm about 90% sure that the only reason I like Kappa Mikey is because I have the same first name as the main character.  Some of my relatives still call me "Mikey", even though I stopped going by that nickname when I was in second grade or so.

The show contains a lot of fast-paced, off-the-wall humor.  And there's a lot of screaming.  And people who know a lot about Japanese anime (i.e. not me) seem to be amused by the various anime parodies.  As for me, I just happen to like it because there are a lot of one-liners.  The show dishes out jokes like these:

Ozu: Lily and Gonard, from now on, you two are dating.
Lily: I can't date Gonard!  He's...Gonard!
Gonard: Yeah, I can't date Gonard!  He's way outta my league!

Guano: You can't expose me as a fraud!  Everyone will know I'm dishonest!  I won't be able to work in anything ever again!  ...Other than journalism or business.

Ozu: If you ever have any questions, please, come to me. I'll always be honest with you.
Mikey: Where do babies come from?
Ozu: ...Internet.

The show isn't perfect, by any means.  I find Yes Man to be much more annoying than humorous.  Guano screams too much.  And after watching five episodes in a row, I found I could no longer keep track of which episode was which, because they're all very similar.  But it was an entertaining-enough way to pass the time during a four-hour flight, and I got to see episodes that I had never seen before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are not jokes. it's called irony or mild sarcasm

Donita said...

Not all jokes have a punch line, Mr Grumpy Pants. I think what distinguishes a joke is humourous intent. (It's ok, I'm from the UK - it is spelled correctly) ;0)

Anonymous said...

I never saw or even heard about this show. It looks so weird because there are two different drawing styles in the cartoon. 0.0
- K.C.