Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Nancy Drew: The Deadly Secret of Olde World Park

I just finished work on my next video walkthrough: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Secret of Olde World Park for the Nintendo DS.  I'll probably upload it mid-April, once the Layton walkthrough has been posted.

I was warned that this game is really terrible, so I thought I would play it as a joke.  You know, "Ha ha, look, I'm playing the really bad Nancy Drew game!"

News Flash: I loved it.

I'll probably write a review for the game later, but there is a lot to like about this game.  True, the game is mostly just cutscenes, and the actual gameplay consists of walking from room to room and playing the same six minigames over and over.  But the minigames aren't that bad, and the cutscenes are rather good.  Best cutscenes ever?  No.  Good enough that I was interesting in seeing how the mystery ended?  Yes.

Really, my only complaint is that the script really needs a proofreader.  Whoever edited it clearly has no idea what quotation marks are.  They disappear and reappear randomly, throughout the scenes.  You'll see double quotes within single quotes, and there's even one point where they use triple quotes.  Triple quotes!  There's no such thing as triple quotation marks.

Also, there's one throwaway line that drove me crazy.  Someone tells Nancy "your sorority egged the dean's car after finals, eight years ago".  Not only is that out-of-character for the law-abiding Nancy Drew, but Nancy would have been eight or nine years old, eight years ago.  Do you really think that's old enough to be in a college sorority?

These problems aside, it's a fun game, and I'm sure everyone will enjoy the video walkthrough.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only problem with this game was the length. I finished it in just about 2 hrs. A good story, but they finished it a bit too fast.

Balin said...

I don't know that game. Is that a dossier game?

Zelda said...

I got that game a while ago. It was alright, but nowhere near as good as Her Interactive's standard of awesomeness. It was interesting and all, but the puzzles got a little tedious.
Maybe I'll play along with your walkthrough, since it doesn't require a computer to play. :D

Moriah said...

I would love to see you upload that game walkthrough Micheal!

-Moriah

Hannie said...

Hey, Michael! I loved your Professor Layton walk-through. I laughed so hard when you said, "So, Luke determined to save his girlfriend, Arianna." You're so funny!! ^_^ I love all of your videos! YOU. ARE. AWESOME!! (And that's a total fact. ^_^)

Anonymous said...

Maybe they mean that the sorority she's in now did that. Like it was a different generation of the same sorority.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with double quotation marks within single quotes? like seriously,what?

Joanna (1CookieCrumbles) said...

What is this game? I am sooo intrigued. Excited for you to do the walkthrough! Was it made by HerInteractive? HER doesn't have so much epic fails, lol. :D

That Fenrick Character said...

I've played this game before! I really enjoyed it even though it was definitely not the best Nancy Drew DS game ever. There's actually a lot of DS games for Nancy Drew out there! From the same com

That Fenrick Character said...

-pany of this game, there's another one called The Mystery of the Clue Society. (At least something similiar to that.) Another one, though I do NOT reccomend it, is The Hidden Staircase. I finished it in one day very quickly. Also the graphics are not good, and it's just a Hunt & Find game. Very dull, but your decision if you'd like to check it out. :) I'd love to read your review of this game!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you point out mistakes with such conviction, both in your writing and in your speech during commentary.

Anonymous said...

I agree on length, started and finished it on a road trip and I thought the egging bit was talking to the cop Kim as a reminder to her who Nancy was