Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Gamer Cousins

All of the relatives came over for our Easter party.  Usually, it's fun to see the little kids and note how much they've grown over the past year.  For example, Baby Jason can walk and talk on his own now.  But all the other kids looked and acted exactly the same, and with the amount of screaming they do, that's not really a good thing.

So this year, I let the fourth grader play with my iPad and the second grader play with my iPod Touch.  Some of the kids at school must have Apple equipment, because they were instantly able to pick them up and start playing.  It made me feel like I'm suffering from a bad case of Old Person Who Can't Use Technology Syndrome, becaue it took me two weeks to figure out how to work my first iThingy.  In my defense, the device had no manual and only two buttons, which makes using it extremely non-obvious.

Anyway, there are about six or so games on my iPad that I haven't gotten around to playing yet.  I took them from the "most downloaded free games" section of iTunes.  Either these are incredibly popular games I haven't heard of, or the kids are strapped for cash, because they already knew the games and how to play them.

It actually ended up being kind of nice.  Instead of running around and screaming, the children were sitting on the couch, playing the iDevices and screaming.  Plus, they unlocked a decent amount of achievements.  Sure, Marcus isn't good enough at Jetpack Joyride to get past section two, but when he replays the first two sections over and over again for a full hour, suddenly my coin total jumps from 3 to 3,000.  Thank you, Cousin Marcus!  Just make sure to return the iPod before going back home.

10 comments:

Zelda said...

Some of my nephews are like that, too. They're really loud and rowdy until you give them a DS or some sort of video game.
The downside of that is that when you take the games away and make them actually interact with each other, they never stop talking about their Pokemon and tell you every little detail.
"I beat a Pokemon trainer today!" "My totodile is already level 10!" -_- Meh..

Hannah said...

Are you sure we're not related? That sounds exactl like one of my family's Easter parties, hahaha!

Anonymous said...

at my easter parties everyone excepte are over 30 years old,so I have to explain that my DSi brought was not a Iphone

Donita said...

I tell you I am having THE most fun playing Kapu Cave with my 6 yr old Nephew. There may be disappointment, however when he finds out it's the only game where he can play as a boy part of the time. He keeps suggesting Joe or Frank should rescue Nancy. I keep having to explain that Nancy is the sort of girl who rescues herself. I think its a good life lesson.

Hayley said...

I have a cousin whos like that, but im so protective of my video games, I'm not willing to give them up. :P

Wayne said...

:D :D :D :D :D I wonder why is it that cousins seem to scream so much? My cousins all suffer from that grave malady, that just gets more and more headachy and annoying to you as you get older. ;)

Anonymous said...

Donita, get the Captive Curse and the Last Train to BLue Moon Canyon. The Captive Curse has one of the Hardy Brothers as a phone contact, and Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon has the boys on the train with Nancy, though you can switch. Also, if he likes switching characters, try Alibi in Ashes, That has Bess, George, and Ned to switch with.

Anonymous said...

I feel old when I visit my friend and she has a Iphone with games that her baby brother plays.She allows me to play on her phone too, but I have NO IDEA how to use the phone.Her baby brother plays like a pro.Also my cousins are very noisy.To keep them quiet I let them play my computer and wii.

Joanna said...

It makes me sad that these kids aren't running around, playing outside or anything. I bet it is great to have them occupied with something more quiet, but the best memories are playing outside with friends and family, not playing on an iThingy.
I would know, my mom plays on her iPad 2 everyday, and it seems as if i don't talk to her a lot anymore.
Kids these days are distracted by things that make them into idols- like my computer for instance. Now I feel guilty...

Joanna (again) said...

Don't get me wrong though ^^^, I can see the perks of agile fingers across those screens. And as long as they are quiet, the adults can talk!
What about books? Books are great! :DDD