Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WWA, Chapter Twenty

Here's Chapter Twenty of Weirdness at Waverly Academy. Today, Nancy calls Megan Vargas.

---

Nancy left her room, and she pulled out her cell phone. It was time to call Megan Vargas, the girl who was sent home after being poisoned by the Black Cat.

"Hello?" a girl answered the phone.

"Hello, is this Megan Vargas?" Nancy asked.

"Yes, this is she," Megan said. "Who is this?"

"This is Becca Sawyer," Nancy said. "I just moved into the valedictorian hall here at Waverly Academy. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions."

Megan gasped loudly. "Are you...are you an undercover detective who was sent to investigate the Black Cat?" she asked.

"What? How did you—I mean, no!" Nancy said.

"Don't lie!" Megan said. "You real name is Nancy Drew, isn't it?"

Nancy's jaw dropped. She could practically feel her title of "world's best female teenage detective" slip away. "How did you know that?" Nancy asked. "I haven't said more than five sentences to you!"

"Caller ID," Megan said. "It says you're calling form Nancy Drew's cellphone."

"...Oh," Nancy said.

"Don't worry," Megan said. "I won't blow your cover. What do you want to know?"

"I need to know who, how and why you were poisoned," Nancy said.

"I can tell you how," Megan said. "I have a really bad peanut allergy. Whenever I eat one, I end up in the hospital. It's happened a couple of times before, so I'm usually really careful about what I eat. As far as I can figure, either someone in the kitchens messed up, or someone purposely slipped peanuts in my food when I wasn't looking."

"Someone like...the Black Cat," Nancy said, taking a dramatic pause in the middle of her sentence to make the conversation more exciting.

"Yes, I got a second Black Cat note the day I was poisoned," Megan said. "It said 'Say goodbye!' on it. I didn't think someone would actually poison me to get rid of me."

"Who knew about your peanut allergy?" Nancy asked.

"Everyone did," Megan said. "For health reasons, everyone in school was informed about it. And everyone has access to the school cafeteria. There's no way to narrow down the field of suspects."

"Who do you think it was?" Nancy asked.

"Honestly, I thought it was Danielle Hayes," Megan said. "But I heard she was attacked by the Black Cat last week."

"She's still in the psych ward," Nancy said. "Her parents are thinking of suing the school. That's why the headmistress asked me to investigate."

"Well, I'm sorry I can't be of more help," Megan said. "But I've been wracking my brains, trying to figure out who the culprit could be. The sooner I figure out who it is, the sooner I'll be able to return to Waverly."

Great, even the valedictorian can't figure it out, Nancy thought. Her chances of solving this mystery were looking slim.

"Don't give up hope yet," Nancy said. "I've got a lot of experience solving mysteries. Once I finish meeting everyone, I'll review the suspect list and see if anything jumps out at me."

"Let me know if you have any big leads," Megan said. "I've been living with these girls for over three years, so I know a lot about them."

"I'll keep that in mind," Nancy said. "Talk to you later, Megan."

"See you," Megan said. "Good luck with the mystery!"

4 comments:

Philip said...

AHH!!! Caller ID!! Eeek, ack, no! I never thought of that. :0

Let's hope Izzy didn't notice when she was programing Nancy's phone! And what about all the other girls?! Can they see her name when they send her text messages? (There is at least one time in the game, where the culprit directly texts Nancy, I believe. Also, Paige directly texts Nancy.) Did Izzy see? Did she snoop in Nancy's contacts? Will she spread the news abroad!?

Aah!! All I can say is, Nancy, you'd better watch out!

Anonymous said...

Haha! " Are you Nancy Drew?"
"What?!? How did you know?"
"Caller Id!"
Haha, that would be an awkward conversation in a real Nancy D game.
Wonder if the Her interactive people thought about that!

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought of when I heard 'caller ID' was prudence rutheford in the phantom of Venice. Good times.

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

I love Caller ID, I still ask who it is because I need to be sure it is the right person but when I look at my cellphone and look at the Caller ID I always know and if i get a text from someone who isn't in my contact list i immediately text back "Who is this?"

I still remember when Bess and George had the incident with Caller ID as well in one of the earlier games!