Friday, March 23, 2012

Videogame Artwork

Hey, this is some fun news.  I'm helping make a videogame!

My friend Paul has been doing a lot of videogame work recently.  From what I can tell, he's been hired to work with at least four different independent games.  He mostly works with editing and writing, but he recently decided to play around a little bit with programming and coding.

Right now, he's making an adventure game prototype.  It's going to be a short demo, only three screens long, and hopefully the higher-ups will like the demo so much that they'll agree to produce the full game.  Since I was a cartoonist for six months, I volunteered to help with the artwork.

Paul asked if I wanted to work the items, characters or background art.  I decided to start with the items, because I haven't drawn in months, so I didn't to start with anything too difficult.  Paul got back to me with a list of items to draw, including:

  • A red pen
  • A bottle of white-out
  • A thick black marker
  • A thin marker
  • A box of chalk

...Apparently, it's a game about writing utensils.

I started out by drawing five or so different versions of each item, then I sent it to Paul and had him picked the ones he liked.  We went back and forth with about three rounds of pictures, until we got a set we were happy with. Then I drew them, scanned them, and edited them in Photoshop.





The pictures will probably be much smaller in the actual game, because they're just inventory icons.

So now I'm an official artist for a videogame! Sure, it's just a demo that hasn't been completed yet, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the demo when it's released.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Micheal this is really cool! Will you get to show us the demo When it is released?

Anonymous said...

haha that's so great, I'm happy for you!

Moriah said...

Thats really cool Micheal congratz on those drawings!

-Moriah

L said...

That is awesome, Michael! Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear more about this.

Anonymous said...

So much better than me -_-

Joanna said...

Amazing! That's so cool! I am very excited for you Michael!
You should make a Youtube walkthrough for it when completed.
If I could buy the game, I would. :)

Hannie said...

OH MY GOSH!! Our Michael is a GAME DEIGNER!! *Screams for joy!!* Congrats!!