Saturday, February 18, 2012

WWA, Chapter Fourteen

Here's Chapter Fourteen of my story about Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy.  Today, Nancy tries to solve the DNA model puzzle.

---

Our heroine, Nancy Drew, was not in a good mood. She was being forced to do Izzy Romero's homework, in exchange for the Internet password.

"You just have to make sure that adenine is always paired with thymine, and cytosine is always paired with guanine," Izzy lectured Nancy. "And make sure each pair is connected to a sugar on the alternating sugar-phosphate side."

No...no...please, just stop... Nancy thought sadly. She didn't know what any of those things were.

"Just jump in. You'll figure it out," Izzy said. "When you're done, bring it back, and if you're right, I'll give you the password."

"Okay..." Nancy moaned. She grabbed the messy DNA model pieces, then went to a nearby study desk and spread them out. The pieces were mostly just colored balls, connected by pink sticks.

Izzy's handwritten note told Nancy that each color represented a different molecule. Or were they atoms? Nancy had no idea. She sort of failed that part of her high school biology class, because she had been solving a mystery in Canada the week her class went over DNA.

Nancy flipped open her notebook, which had all the details written out. Adenine was yellow, and it always connected to the black one. The red and blue ones always connected together, and the two longer ends alternated with white and brown. It was sort of like a weird jigsaw puzzle.

It took ten minutes, but Nancy finally got all the pieces together. She held up the DNA model proudly, ready to declare her victory over the evil, evil puzzle, when it fell into pieces.

"That means you got it wrong," Izzy called from across the room.

"Yeah, I figured that out!" Nancy snarled back at Izzy.

Now I know why she wants me to do this, Nancy thought. This is impossible! I'm not a science person, like George or the lab technicians or...hey, wait! The lab technicians! Those guys deal with DNA all the time!

Nancy pulled out her cell phone and called the River Heights Police Department. She talked with Chief McGinnis for a bit, then she got transferred over to the people at the police laboratory.

"Nancy! How are you?" the lab technician said. "I haven't heard from you since you figured out who stole my car! Thanks again for that!"

"I'm fine, and you're welcome," Nancy said. "That mystery wasn't so hard. It only took me five minutes to figure out that your daughter crashed it."

"I'm still grateful," the lab technician said. "So, what can I do for you?"

"Well, I have to make a DNA model for a school assignment," Nancy said. "But I'm not sure how the pieces fit together."

"The pieces?"

"Yes, I'll send you a picture of the DNA pieces on my phone," Nancy said. "If you could put them together for me, that'd be great. You just have to make sure that adenine is always paired with thymine, and cytosine is always paired with guanine. And make sure each pair is connected to a sugar on the alternating sugar-phosphate side."

"Nooooo!" the lab technician moaned. "You want me to work for you? Everyone always makes me do their chores for them! I'm sick of it!"

"On second thought...maybe I'll solve the puzzle myself," Nancy said.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Nancy, I know how you feel, our Physics final was extreamly dificult. Most kids in our class (And granted most of the students at my school are A students) got a C or a C+ on their test (Me included) Oh well, at least I don't have to build somthing... Sorry.

JCai Tippett said...

Apollo Justice is not better than Phoenix Wright.

JCai Tippett said...

Also I did not know that Apollo is 22 and Trucy is 15.

Hannie said...

WOW! The lab tech is tired of having to do other people's work, I wonder how Nancy feels, having to do EVERYONE'S work!! I'd just be tired of it. And really, Izzy is just a meanie. YOU DO NOT MAKE FUN OF GIRLS HAIR!!! That's considered being a bully, in my opinion.

Moriah said...

Lol that was funny Micheal Gray! I always love ur Nancy Drew stories!

- Moriah

Kira said...

This portion of the game took me forever, I remember. >_< Mostly because I had no idea what I was doing, and I was completely convinced I was doing things right, when in reality I wasn't.

Becki said...

Ugh. This one moment of the game made Izzy my least favorite character. X-(

Love this chapter, though! :D

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

I hated the DNA model part of the game but I remember doing some of those in school so it helped me in figuring it out.

Thanks for posting this and I look forward to the next chapter!