Saturday, February 25, 2012

WWA, Chapter Fifteen

Here's Chapter Fifteen of my story about Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy.  Today, Nancy finishes talking to Izzy.

---

Nancy eventually managed to solve the DNA model puzzle. She went back to Izzy and placed it in front of the student body president.

"There, I'm done," Nancy said. "Now can you tell me the password?"

"Awesome," Izzy said. "Okay, the computer password is WAC35NE136."

Nancy copied that down in her notebook.

"Anything else?" Izzy asked.

"Uh...sure," Nancy said. "What do you think about the other students here, like Megan or Mel?"

"Oh, Mel," Izzy said, half-laughing. "All that edgy, free spirit, deep thinking stuff is just an act. She knows that she can't cut it here, so she's making it look like she doesn't care."

"Maybe she really doesn't care," Nancy said.

"Everybody cares what other people think," Izzy said. "In fact, if they don't, they're psychopaths. I just learned that in AP Psych."

Nancy had a feeling Izzy knew a lot about psychopaths.

"Speaking of psychopaths, have you gotten any notes from the Black Cat?" Nancy asked.

"Everyone on the Val Can floor has," Izzy said. Then, seeing the blank look on Nancy's face, she added, "The valedictorian candidate floor. Our floor."

"Oh, right..." Nancy said. She had been thrown off by the fact that there was no real reason to name the different floors in a two-story building. "I think the notes are kind of creepy."

"I think they're just a stupid distraction, and the person sending them should be expelled," Izzy said. "Not that who that person is is any great mystery."

"It isn't?" Nancy asked. Had Izzy solved the mystery without telling anyone?

"It's Mel," Izzy said. "Like I said, she's a little psycho. And black cats, strange mishaps—it all fits in with the inane goth thing she's got going on. I mean, who else could it be?"

"Maybe somebody is trying to frame her," Nancy said, trying to be logical. "You know, they pick an alias that fits with Mel, to cast suspicion off of themselves. Why else pick a name like the Black Cat?"

"Well..." Izzy said, looking around to make sure no one else was near them. "Don't tell anyone I told you this, but..."

"Mel has a boyfriend?" Nancy asked.

"What?" Izzy asked. "No! I'm trying to say that—"

"Pink isn't her natural hair color?" Nancy asked. "Yeah, I kind of guessed that."

"No!" Izzy said. "I mean—"

"Oh! You used to be a goth, and you're secretly jealous of Mel because she pulls off the goth look way better than you did!" Nancy said.

"Stop interrupting!" Izzy said. "I'm trying to tell you the story of the Black Cat."

"Oh," Nancy said.

Izzy's voice went low. "Supposedly, there was a teacher here once, long ago, who none of the students liked. They were always playing tricks on her, scaring her and stuff, until one day one of their pranks gave her a heart attack, and she died. Her black cat went running off into the woods during the funeral and never came back. But for years after that, people would spot it, lurking in the shadows, and whenever it did, something bad would happen. They said it was the teacher, Miss Hallowell, coming back as her cat to get revenge."

"Interesting..." Nancy said. So the school had a history of being plagued by a black cat who brought bad luck?

"Somebody here's obviously trying to get some mileage out of a silly ghost story," Izzy said. "One the headmistress is trying desperately to squelch, by the way, so remember, you didn't hear it from me."

"My lips are sealed," Nancy said. "But hey, before I go, I just want to know one more thing from you. What do you think your chances of making valedictorian are?"

"Chance has nothing to do with it," Izzy said. "I deserve to be valedictorian, therefore, I'm going to be valedictorian."

"Your grades are that good?" Nancy asked.

"It's not just a matter of getting the highest grades," Izzy said. "The faculty also looks at extracurricular activities, leadership, community service, school spirit—things I totally excel it."

"I get it now," Nancy said. "You're counting on your status as student body president to put you over the top of the competition."

Izzy nodded. "I'm going to be valedictorian, and then I'm going to Harvard," she said.

"Good plan," Nancy said. "Of course, your chances of being valedictorian might drop once the school learns that you force other people to do your homework, but I guess that's a risk you're willing to take."

Izzy froze. "What?" she asked.

"I'm just saying, if someone were to tell the biology teacher that she did your DNA model, not you, well...things could be bad for you," Nancy said.

"Are you threatening me?" Izzy asked. "You can't prove you put the model together!"

"Can't I?" Nancy asked, pretending to examine her fingernails. "If you try to make me do your homework again, I guess we'll find out."

Izzy started fuming, but Nancy turned and walked away from the angry student body president.

"Oh, by the way," Nancy said, casting a backwards glance towards Izzy. "Nice hair."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm just saying, if someone were to tell the biology teacher that she did your DNA model, not you, well...things could be bad for you," Nancy said.

"Are you threatening me?" Izzy asked. "You can't prove you put the model together!"

"Can't I?" Nancy asked, pretending to examine her fingernails. "If you try to make me do your homework again, I guess we'll find out."

Now that's the Nancy I know and love! Seriously, she should stand up for herself like this in the games.

Moriah said...

Lol that story had a good twist to it. I liked it.

-Moriah

Anonymous said...

THE RETURN OF SASSY NANCY FROM THE FINAL SCENE!

Anonymous said...

I love how Nancy yelled at her for Izzy making her do her homework. That happens alot with her.

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

There's the sassy detective we all know and love in this chapter! Brilliantly written Michael! I am very impressed, I am very proud to have read this one! I can't wait to see what happens next for her and the other characters.

1CookieCrumbles said...

I have played the game so many times, I remember the password. How sad. :D