Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Question

How long would you say it takes before you decide an Internet project is officially dead?  Two months? Four months?  One year?

I read stories on Fanfiction.net sometimes.  Every now and then, I come across a very popular, very good story.  And then, after I'm five chapters in and I'm completely hooked on the story, I notice that it's unfinished, and it hasn't been updated since 2003.

Well, if the author hasn't written a new chapter in nine years, it's a pretty good bet the story will never be finished.  But sometimes, the author hasn't written a new chapter in four months.  That could mean the story has been abandoned, or the author has just been too busy to write much lately.  Where do you draw the line?  How do you make that judgment call between "the project is dead" and "the project has been delayed for a long time"?

Personally, I decided to make a special folder for projects I like, which haven't been updated in a while.  Every six months or so, I go through the folder to see if any of them have been finished.  Sometimes they do get finished, which is always a nice surprise.

7 comments:

Flashman85 said...

How long was GameCola out of commission? One day longer than that.

Anonymous said...

I'm on fanfiction too, and I've asked that same question. It's never good to say 'this story has been abandoned' because I've read stories where the author left it for 3 years, then came back and finished it. Normally, I like to give it at least a year or two between updates before deciding. In 95% of the cases, if a story hasn't been updated in over a year, then it's not going to get finished.

Katie said...

I understand completely. It's tricky to determine whether on not the project has been dropped or if its just delayed. It became frustrating enough to me a few years ago that i now only read things that have been completed or are close to completion. I'm sure I'm probably missing out on some stories, but it saves me time and the emotional investment I usually devote to story. :/

Kate said...

I belive that If they don't update in a week or two, that means they've been busy or haven't been able to write. If it's been a few months, then I belive it was somthing personal or, again, no writing ideas. Around a year, that pretty much means they've abandoned a prodject, unless of course somthing came up and they don't have the time to do so. I consider it abandoned for good if it hasn't been updated in a few years.

Kira said...

I'm pretty sure it depends on the person. Some people come back to finish fanfics, many moons later, while others may leave them totally unfinished for years.

Meredith said...

I don't like it when that happens. I usually go to their page and if it hasn't been updated in like, years, I decide it's over, unless, of course, it returns years later.

Anonymous said...

I believe that all internet projects are a bust when it has been inactive for 1 month. That's the period when people forget or believe it is a lost cause.