Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent.  Lent is the forty day period before Easter, and people observe fasting and abstinence during Lent.  The official requirements are to abstain from eating meat on Fridays, and only Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fasting.

Of course, many people go above and beyond these requirements, and they give something up for the entire forty days of Lent.  People will often give up something bad, like smoking or gossiping.  People also give up good things, which are bad in excessive amounts, such as television or the Internet.  And of course, people decide to take up good things for Lent, such as when someone works at a soup kitchen every week of Lent or someone pledges to say a daily rosary for all forty days.  Almsgiving in particular is highly recommended as a good virtue to practice during Lent.

I'm going to give up playing videogames for Lent, because they have the tendency to eat up too much of my time.  Even when I'm not playing videogames, they can sometimes distract me; I'll get so caught up with thinking about games that I don't pay attention to what I'm doing.  And that should not be the case.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha Ur as bad as me with video games!!!!!!!!! O.O :D

Flashman85 said...

Though I'm not Catholic, my vegetarian wife is insisting that we observe the "no meat on Fridays" rule. I'm questioning her motives...

Sammy said...

I'm giving up junk food. I don't eat it that much, but I know that I should eat healthier. This is the first time my whole family has participated in lent, so it is going to be interesting to see how everyone does. :)

sarah said...

I'm going vegan for lent! It's gonna be tough but I need to something about my heath and I think this will help a lot! =D

kiahnamooreicecream said...

lent i'm giving up my time animal shelters and fasting is way harder then i thought because my first time ever last year and no video games does this mean walkthrough on pause so confused

Moriah said...

I feel that I need to give T.V up cuz im watching it too much when I come home from my high school.

-Moriah

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't heard about this ''lent'' thing until now. Where have I been? XD And giving up video games? Does this mean walkthroughs are ending soon? Or is it a limited time thing? Still don't fully understand how this ''lent'' thing works. :/

Anonymous said...

@ Anonymous (the one right above me),

Don't worry, Lent only lasts until Easter. It's a way to honor the 40 days Jesus spent preparing himself to take on the responsibilities of being the Messiah and a period of mourning for Catholics to honor the fact that he died on Good Friday. Lent ends on Easter because that is the day Christians believe Jesus rose from the dead.
Traditionally people give up something for Lent so they can focus more on God during what is commonly considered one of the most holy times of the year. It's also a way to make a persona sacrifice to show thanks for the sacrifice Christians believe Jesus made for them.

Meredith said...

I'll have to work harder in school. Definitely.

Meredith said...

So, I'm giving up silly activites that take away from studying.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous (The one who replyed to my previous comment)

Oh, ok. Thanks for responding to my comment. :)

Balin said...

I wish I could give up homework for Lent.

Actually, I've never given up anything for Lent before. Maybe I should start doing that.

RetroCurrant said...

Michael, I wish you luck on your video game abstinance! I must admit that I was very impressed when I read this! I believe that abstinance from a worldly item is extremely healthy and can help us refocus on what is important. Again, best of luck!