Thursday, January 5, 2012

Three Things -- Game Reviews

In Three Things today, I'm going to do brief reviews of videogames that came out this November / December.  Usually, these poor games get ignored in "best game of the year" countdowns, because nobody had the chance to play them all the way through before the deadline.  Here are my incomplete impressions of the gamese games.

1.  Super Mario Land 3DS is a good enough Mario game.  I would say it's like Super Mario Galaxy, but a little worse.  It looks good, and the gameplay is fine, but it just feels small and short.  That's because each level is done in the NES Mario style, where you have a 200 second time limit.  So, it takes about two minutes to go through each level, and the short levels make the game feel a lot shorter than it actually is.

Score: 7 or 8 out of 10.

2.  Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is fine.  It seems like it could be a great game, with a lot more plot than the average Zelda game.  (That's not saying much, because the average Zelda plot is "do whatever your flying companion tells you to do").  And on the other hand, it seems like the controls could quickly become tiresome.  I'll withhold judgment until I play the game some more.  After all, I haven't even gotten to the first dungeon.

Score: 8 or 9 out of 10.

3.  Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights is confusing me as to its genre.  It's made up of Professor Layton puzzles, Pokemon battles, and Assassin's Creed sneaking past guards.  I can't really tell what kind of gameplay they were going for at this point.  The cutscenes are pretty good, though.  I'm hoping at one point they explain why all the French characters have British accents.

Score: 7 out of 10.

5 comments:

Izzy :) said...

WOO HOO FOR ZELDA!

Miriam said...

Speaking of Zelda, have you heard that the stalker owl is Rauru?! :O

Here's a link: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/hyrule-historia-confirms-ocarina-of-time-owl-is-rauru-reincarnated/

Cai said...

PLEASE READ MY BLOG. I'VE MENTIONED YOU IN MY BLOG. http://caiexcitedta-kun.blogspot.com/

Diana said...

I loved Skyward Sword! I beat it on New Year's Eve and was so proud of myself...

Anonymous said...

FUN FACT: The Stalker Owl from OoT=Zelda's Dad in SS! So yeah, I'm in the first dungeon and it's fun! Don't worry, I still find the controls tons of fun and it's HARD! The first mini boss is harder than the first boss of Oot which means that I'm pretty sure that this game is going to be pretty hard but fun and I'm looking forward to whatevers coming in the game next good luck. :)