Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Helpful Biking Tips

My current home town is bicycle-friendly.  The local government wants everyone to sell their cars, and just walk or bike everywhere.  They've instituted several measures to promote this policy, such as a blanket speed limit of 25 MPH over the entire town, and intersections that show red lights in all four directions for a full minute, for the convenience of pedestrians.

I happen to like biking myself, but I have to admit, a lot of the bikers here are spoiled by living in a bike-friendly town.  They routinely pull off audacious biking moves that would probably get them run over someplace else.  I've seen things which are both rude and dangerous, so today, I thought I'd list some helpful biking tips that will prevent bikers from getting hurt.

#1.  Bike in the bike lane.  AKA, not in the very middle of the street, or in the middle of the car lane.  The bike lane is there for a reason, and that reason is your safety.  Bikes aren't the same as cars, so there's no reason for you to be biking in the car lanes, when you have your own designated area.

#2.  When you're biking with a group of friends, bike single-file.  Do not bike side-by-side.  When four bikers are biking side-by-side, they take up the entire road, and the car behind them cannot pass.  It adds at least five minutes to my drive whenever I get trapped behind a group of four bikers.

#3.  Use your turn signals.  That is, if you're turning left, point left.  If you're turning right, point right.  Don't just swerve unexpectedly in front of cars and force me to hit the brakes.

#4.  Use bike routes.  When the sign say, "Bicycle Detour -- Turn Right", that means you should turn right and take the detour, instead of going straight.  This should be obvious, but I've seen far too many bikers ignore the detour and bike right through Main Street, during rush hour.  It's just not a good idea to avoid a bike route in favor of biking through the part of town with the most traffic.

6 comments:

Becki said...

It's like you know what I got for Chistmas. I got a bike! Thanks for the tips!!! :D

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I know what you mean. I moved to a "bike-friendly" town and ever since, it seems like they're looking for chances to run me over.

Justin said...

Bikes run ze cars over ja! It's funny because I read your tips expecting you to do them from a biking perspective but you seem really down on the bikers! I am a runner, so I do think you bring up some pretty good points...but who likes running on the sidewalk anyway? It has walk in its name for a reason...

Anonymous said...

I seriously hate when bikers don't follow the rules. I want to swing open my car door and let it hit them.

Anonymous said...

I don't really bike on public roads, just through my neighborhood on the sidewalks and roads, where there isn't many traffic, but I have to agree; even if I'm not old enough to drive, I still think bikers should respect the rules of the road, just like drivers should respect the rules of the road. All in all, respect the rules that had been laid out, and there will be no problems anymore.

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

Just one suggestion from me: Please don't ride your bike on the sidewalks, they aren't for bikers, they are for us walkers! thank you!