Friday, January 13, 2012

The Great Painters' Gospel

I finished work on another eBook!  This one is called The Great Painters' Gospel, and it's basically a collection of religious paintings by artists like Da Vinci and Rembrandt and Dore.

I think the popularity of eBook readers like the Kindle or the iPad have really changed the field of making eBooks.  Five years ago, it would have been impossible to make an eBook like this.  Just scroll through the book and you'll see.  It has actual pictures in it!  Big ones, too.

The rules for eBooks were made back in the 90's or so.  I only started making eBooks in 2005, when they relaxed the rules a bit.  For example, they allowed italics for the first time in eBooks.  It was also the first time you could include pictures in an eBook.

Here's the problem, though.  They said "small pictures only".  The size limit was 640 by 480.  The idea behind this limit was that some people still had computer monitors where that was the largest possible resolution.  I highly doubted that, and whenever I wanted to include larger pictures in an eBook, I had to use a workaround solution.  For example, in The First Christmas Tree, I shrunk all the pictures, and if you click on one, you get taken to the full-sized picture.

Recently, the rules have changed again to a more general "use good judgment when it comes to picture size".  They'll still get mad at you and refuse to publish the eBook if the pictures are too big, but at least the pictures don't have to be made to fit 1990's computer monitor standards.

And that's why I was able to finally produce an eBook which is mainly dependent on large pictures.  I don't know when it'll be available on Amazon or Itunes, but they usually get around to hosting my eBooks eventually, seeing as they're free to distribute.

No comments: