Thursday, December 8, 2011

WWA, Chapter Four

Here's the fourth chapter in my series about Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy.

---

Nancy smiled. She had only been in Waverly for five minutes, and the case was practically solved. The mysterious "Black Cat" only targeted valedictorian candidates. The valedictorian that year would get a huge scholarship. Clearly, someone wanted the huge scholarship, and she was using underhanded tactics to get rid of the competition.

Nancy took a moment to confirm this theory. "You mean the only girls to get notes from this Black Cat person are girls who're in the running to be valedictorian?"

"I hadn't really thought of it that way, but yeah," Corine said. "I guess that's right. Maybe somebody's jealous of us smart kids or something. Or maybe it's one of us. Maybe somebody's trying to scare off her competition."

Hey, I thought of that first! Nancy thought.

"Whatever. It's not gonna work on me," Corine said confidently.

Oh, really? Nancy thought. "Have you ever gotten one of these Black Cat notes?" she asked.

"Yeah, I got one about three days ago," Corine said calmly.

Evidence! Nancy thought. "No kidding. May I see it?"

"Sorry," Corine said. "I took one look at it and tore it up. But if you'd like to see the note my ex-roommate got, that one's right here."

Corine pulled out a note the note. There was a black pawprint on the paper, with blood-colored scratches. The Black Cat is watching. was written on top. All in all, it was kind of creepy.

"When she got this, how did she react?" Nancy asked.

"She tried to laugh it off, but I think she was really scared," Corine said. "She was pretty neurotic."

Um...your roommate gets sent home after having a panic attack, and you get rid of all of her things except the threatening note she received? Who's the neurotic one again?

"What about the second note?" Nancy asked.

"There wasn't a second note," Corine said. "Or at least, if there was, she never said anything about it to me."

"Did she talk to you a lot?" Nancy asked.

"No, not really," Corine said. She tried to fake a laugh. "I mean, you've probably said more to me now in the past five minutes that Danielle said to me in the past month!"

Note to self, Nancy thought. Corine might be a candidate for valedictorian, but she is not a candidate for Roommate of the Year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love the part about Corine not being Roomate of the Year!!!

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

Poor Nancy, she's got the world's worst roommate Corine who is trying to be so helpful yet she is secretive. I can't wait to see how things go for Nancy next. Question, will you have any scenes of them in the classroom or just after class hours only? I ask because it would be cool to see a scene of one of teachers talking to 'Becca' and having her introduce herself to the class and that's how she spots the other girls. Well I can't wait to read chapter 5 and keep up the great work Michael!

Moriah said...

oh man I love that joke about Corrine not being the best roomate of the year! I love that joke Micheal you're so funny!

Philip said...

Yay, another chapter!

I love how Nancy says "Hey, I thought of that first!" in her head! You're so funny. :D

Philip said...

And I, too, love the part about Corine not being Roommate of the Year! :D

I'm personally hoping that there will be lots of action in the next chapter! I personally don't really like talking to suspects all that much, but you made it very funny. Great job! Still, I'm still leaning towards good old fashioned sleuthwork! :D

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what Nancy has to say about Izzy, Leela, etc.

Philip said...

Ooh, neither can I! And I can't wait to see what Becca/Nancy have to say about Paige, either. :D

Hmm, and "B.S. has B.O.". I can't wait to see whether Becca is going to find that written on the bathroom wall...