Friday, December 23, 2011

WWA, Chapter 5

Here's the fifth chapter in my series about Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy. Not the most exciting chapter ever, but at least I finished the opening conversation with Corine!

---

"What're you working on?" Nancy asked Corine. "You look so busy."

"Busy? That's the understatement of the year," Corine said. "I've got four days to write a thirty page research paper utilizing a bibliography that has to include at least six published—no online stuff—published sources. Any other student would hate having you bug them like this."

Gee, thanks, Nancy thought.

"But then, I'm not all that normal, so you can bug me all you want. Not that you're bugging me. Well, you are, technically, but you're not really because I'm so—Never mind."

The conversation with Corine had proven one thing, at least: Corine was Captain Awkward. The somewhat depressing cello music playing in the background fit the situation perfectly.

Nancy frowned. That wasn't background music, coming from Corine's laptop. Someone was actually playing a cello nearby.

"Where's that cello music coming from?" Nancy asked.

"Next door. That's Mel Corbalis."

"Does she ever stop playing?" Nancy asked.

"Depends on her mood," Corine said. "When she's really, really down, I'll bet if they didn't give demerits for make noise after hours, she'd play that thing 24-7."

Interesting... Nancy thought. A depressed cellist.

"Well, guess I'd better go start meeting people," Nancy said.

"Yeah, guess you'd better," Corine said wistfully. Her royal awkwardness seemed upset to end a conversation with the only person who was willing to talk to her. "I'm not so bad, right?"

"What do you mean?" Nancy asked politely, pretending she didn't know that Corine was talking about her social awkwardness.

"It's just that...well, you're about to find out that I'm not exactly the most..." Corine sighed. "Never mind. You'll see soon enough."

With that, Corine turned around and returned to her research paper.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool... This makes me really want the game for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

These are great! If there was a book like this i would totally read it!

Hadley said...

hey guys,he has already posted chapters 6,7,and 8 on fanfiction.net

Justice said...

I can't help feeling for Corine, being a somewhat 'socially awkward person' at times myself (:P), but this is still quite entertaining. I like how you're taking the dialogue most of us already know and somehow still making it new and interesting by inserting Nancy's thoughts. And all the descriptive work that has to be done when you're writing a fanfic puts a lot of material in there that isn't needed in a video, so that makes for a different experience than playing the game, too. I like ND games a lot, but there's nothing like a good old-fashioned written story. :)

3D###Boy said...

Happy Holydays! Merry Christmass to all!! X-treme X-mass!!!!

3D###Boy said...

Happy Holydays! Merry Christmass to all!! X-treme X-mass!!!!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Great story. I am writing a story about saw.