Sunday, December 11, 2011

Trip to Spain (Part 3) - Sunday

Today was a good day. We went to the Cathedral in Seville, which is the second-largest in the world. We kind of got the rest of the day off because everyone was tired, so we got to do a little shopping. Most of the stores in Seville were closed for Sunday and/or siesta, but the tourist places were all open.

The guys are not my ideal shopping partners. Mendie went looting through every single fan in every single fan box, trying to find the best one. He uprooted the 2-euro box, the 2.5 Euro box and the 3-Euro box. Then he ran down the block to another tourist store, so he could do price comparison. That's way too much work for a cheap plastic souvenir fan.

I got two items (religious art), which are about $10 US each. The same items would cost $40-50 back at home, so I saved thirty bucks by buying them here. That's how I do effective shopping.

The cathedral was great, but I still prefer the United States' Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. I like the side chapel of Seville's cathedral more than the main chapel. A crazy old Italian man tried to give me a tour of the place, even though we couldn't understand each other. He would point at something and say its Italian name, like "altare" and "Jesu".

Everyone warns you to look out for the gypsies in Europe, because they're experts at robbing tourists. Well, a gypsy tried to rob me outside of the cathedral, but she did a really bad job. She tried to lure me in by calling me "guapo" (Spanish for "handsome") and giving me a leaf as a present. It wasn't a special leaf; it was just a random leaf she pulled off of a nearby tree. I just walked past her, and that was that. Later, I watched her from a distance, and nobody else stopped to pick up her leaves. What a weird scam, trying to lure people in with leaves in order to rob them.

I took the night off, by staying inside and washing my clothes in the sink. It turns out I made a mistake in packing my luggage. I guess I grabbed the wrong pile of clothes or something like that. Anyway, the result was that I only had one pair of shorts and one pair of black socks. My formal clothes all got packed, though.

We got our official World Youth Day backpacks today. There were a lot of things in the backpack already. Some of them were things I don't need, like the map of town and a small Liturgy of the Hours for the next two weeks. Other things, I decided to keep to give to people at home, such as the Pope Benedict manga, the Youcat and the cheap plastic fan. I feel kind of bad for Mendie now. He put a lot of effort into finding a fan, and nine hours later, we all got free plastic fans.

6 comments:

Diana said...

You certainly know how to have adventures in Spain. Sounds like fun!

Teresa B. said...

I hope you made it to the Mother of all Thuribles!

Sammy said...

You made me laugh out loud at the gypsy part! I almost got kidnapped by gypsies when I was in Paris, but that's a very long story!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the WORST attempt to steal something, "if I give you a leaf will you give me your wallet, I'll call you handsome!" I mean seriously??? :D

Flashman85 said...

I, too, visited Sevilla on a Sunday, unless I'm terribly mistaken. Lovely place.

And did you say...Pope Benedict manga?

Michael Gray said...

I did indeed say Pope Benedict manga. It was made special for World Youth Day.

http://bluepanjeet.net/2011/06/09/11753/pope-benedict-xvi-manga-free-wyd-participants/