Friday, December 9, 2011

Trip to Spain (Part 1)

For the next two weeks or so, I'm going to write about my trip to Spain for World Youth Day. I kept a journal during the trip, so everything is well organized.  To start off, I'm going to reproduce my notes from the first day, Friday.  I didn't write much that day, because I was exhausted.

---

We stopped by the Cathedral here in Madrid. It was nice because they let us in after hours. I wish I had a camera. Everyone else brought cameras, even though the guidebook said not to.  The churches here have beautiful artwork, but I fear people visit them to see the art, not to have a personal encounter with God. The art is very old, and I wonder why so much artwork is up on the ceiling, where no one can see it.

My favorite piece of art so far was an Immaculate Conception located at St. Inez. It looked more like an Assumption, but the piece of artwork obviously predates the papal declaration on the Assumption. My favorite part was the look of joy on Mary's face. In most of the pictures here, she has a more stoic look.

There are street performers here in Madrid, who dress up in costumes. A few random strangers thought I was a street performer, and they took pictures of me. That's because I was wearing a cassock. It's about two to three degrees cooler to wear a cassock instead of a suit, which is why I decided to wear it the whole time. Only a few people recognized it as an old-fashioned priest outfit, but I don't blame them, because I had no idea what a cassock was either, three years ago.



That's me in the cassock, third from the right.  The trip to Spain was pretty much the only time I've ever worn it in public.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Good call!

Anonymous said...

They thought you were a steet performer? Ha! Yeah, Mary never looks happy in our pictures here.

Moriah said...

I think you look good in that cassock outfit, it's kinda funny that the people thought you were a street performer. I must say you look good in that cassock lol!

Anonymous said...

Aww, you look AWESOME in a cassock!!! I would want to take a photo with you.

C Tippett said...

Looking as awesome as ever Michael

Anonymous said...

Hello Michael

Nancy Drew made me discover your blog. But I must say that I really like what you write about catholic stuffs.
You look great in that cassock.

Florence

You should come and see the basilique de Fourvière here in Lyon

Diana said...

You look so professional! Good choice with the cassock!

Another Youtube Fan said...

In my school the logo was a priest in a cassock so I've seen that outfit plenty of times! And I have to agree with everyone else, you're really rocking that cassock :)