Thursday, December 22, 2011

Three Things

1. I went over my food receipts for the past few months.  It turns out that I was wrong when I said the food budget was $20 a day.  It's more like $5 per day, with a monthly cost of around $150.

2.  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows.  All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names.  They never let poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games, like Monopoly.  Why did Rudolph want to play Monopoly with those bullies, anyway?

Speaking of the Rudolph song, I find it weird that the song presumes "you know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer" and the other reindeer.  It's like the song is telling you that you are some kind of weird reindeer enthusiast.  Then the song has the audacity to ask, "Do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?", as if you're not a reindeer enthusiast.  Which one is it, song?  Am I someone who knows all of the reindeer, or am I someone who is so unfamiliar with reindeer that he does not know the most famous of all reindeer?  Make up your mind, song!

3.  Now that I think about it, a lot of different adventure games I've played have an "escape from jail" puzzle.  Off the top of my head, these include Pajama Sam 3, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.  Is there some reason adventure games tend to have puzzles that involve escaping from jail, or at least, escaping from some sort of building/area?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then there's Alibi in Ashes, where Nancy has to try to free herself from jail and then escape from the Cold War bunkers after the culprit locks Nancy!

Anonymous said...

You're so funny , Michael!

Emma said...

Anonymous 2:51-- she doesn't really have to "escape" from jail, just prove her innocence :D

Justice said...

That's funny that you should bring up those questions about "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", because I've thought some similar things about the song. Mostly about the fact that Rudolph is the only reindeer I've ever known much about and how I can't even name all of the rest readily! "You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer..." says the song. "Oh I do, do I?" I think back at it. :D

Anonymous said...

Well, my definition would be exonerate, so in a way, Nancy is freeing herself peacefully.

3D###Boy said...

We learned about the Cold War(Războiul Rece) but we didn't discuss much about it

Kira said...

You know there's Blixen and Vixen and Vomit and Comet.... ;-D

ALYSIA V. PARKER said...

Michael, hi I thought I would follow up with my own thoughts. First of all, your food budget isn't too bad considering the enconomy. Secondly, the Rudolph song is so crazy and corny yet so unrealistic! I mean, when if ever have you ever seen a four footed or hooved creature fly? And I don't mean in an airplane either. Lastly, I have noticed that escaping from jail is an easy way for the animators to continue story plot without doing too much. Even in a game you did not mention Zork: Grand Inquistor you have to escape from jail and even in the Back to the Future PC game you have to free Doc Brown from jail. I mean I can see why they do it but I rather see something out of the ordinary like where you find a secret tunnel system and it leads into a jail cell and you have to find a way to avoid being locked inside by the guards. Well I'll get off my soapbox and let others of you comment.