Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Son of Neptune

I finished reading The Son of Neptune, which is the latest Percy Jackson book.  It's a good book.  Percy Jackson fans should check it out.

The story of the book is that Percy makes it to the Roman Camp for demigods.  He and two other characters are given a quest to go north to Alaska, where a giant is keeping Death captive.  Our heroes go there, kill the giant, and return to New Rome in time to stop an army being led by a different giant.

Percy was my favorite part of the book, hands down.  As for the two new main characters, I liked Hazel.  Her backstory was kind of similar to Piper's in the previous book, in that both girls knew information about the giant ahead of time, but they wanted to keep it a secret.  I think it worked better with Hazel than with Piper.  The other new character was Frank.  I wasn't sure about him, because he's sort of a mixed bag.  That's on purpose, though; part of Frank's story is how he works through his confusion about himself and his family.  My other Percy Jackson friend loved Frank, though.

I don't think I'd go so far as to say that it is immensely better than the previous book, which didn't have Percy in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one outsold the last book.

7 comments:

Lily said...

See, I thought this one was pretty good. I was a bit disappointed with The Lost Hero, mainly because it was all new characters- I loved Leo, wanted to smack Piper, and Jason...eh...

Anyway, it was definitely nice to have Percy back. I liked Hazel a lot more than Piper. She's so much cooler. (No offense intended to Piper fans...)I ended up liking Frank, more than I did Jason.

See, though, a repetitive pattern I found was how one of the characters from each book was somehow related to a member of the original series...I won't spoil it, but it's kind of getting old.

Okay, sermon over.

Anonymous said...

It probably will sell out the one without Percy...my brother doesn't like that series very much...he says it's bad...

Kira said...

I read the first book. Only made it halfway before I got bored. XD

Anonymous said...

The last book was kind of boring for me. I bought this one, but I never got the chance to read it because of all the damn school work. :(

Cai said...

Michael you are da best. Hope you do Apollo Justice. Rick Riordan's books are great. Finished my family heritage project. I have a blog about the anime Bleach.

מערכות ישיבה said...

My kids love Percy's books. They could not wait till the next one to come. Great idea to put some history pieces in there mind!

Anonymous said...

YESSS!!! (cough) um... sorry. HUGE percy Jackson fan here! can't beleave you like the books, to! i watch all your walkthroughs, and still can't belive you read percy jackson too! my favorate charictor of the heroes of olympus sieres is leo. hilarious! I'm waiting in suspens for the mark of athena. also, if you like the percy jackson books, you might also like to read the kane chronicals. their by the same author, and VERY good. also i would sugest the 39 clues. the first book in the seires is also by rick riordan, but then the next books are all riten by different people. I have read the first 5 of the seires, all crazie awsume! :)