Saturday, November 26, 2011

Zelda: Skyward Sword - First Impressions (Part 1)

I got to play Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for about an hour and a half yesterday.  Here are my first impressions of the game.
  • The game starts with an opening cutscene.  The music is fancy, while the graphics are kind of generic.  The narrator says that evil villains started a war, in order to get the Triforce, the super powerful magical device that the Goddess made.
  • The Goddess didn't want humans to get hurt during the war, so she banished them to a floating island.  Okay, maybe she didn't banish them, but once the war was over, she forgot to bring the island back down to Earth again.  Whoops!
  • And that's the backstory.  Several generations later, all the humans are still living on the floating island, which is called Skyloft.  It's a pretty-looking island, filled with large colorful birds.  Zelda is singing a song on a harp, and she gives a letter to one of the birds.
  • Link is having a nightmare about an evil worm creature, which is attacking a forest.  The foreshadowing is scaring him tremendously, but then a bright light appears in the sky.  A voice comes from the light, saying that it is time for him to fulfill his destiny and save the world.
  • Then Link wakes up and gets the letter from Zelda.  She wants to meet up with him before the big Wing Ceremony today.
  • At last, you get to control Link.  He lives in the Knight Academy, presumably with a bunch of other people who are also knights.  There are a few optional tutorials here.  One involves moving heavy barrels, which is not more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  The other involves finding a lost cat.  The cat tutorial was cool, because it involved Prince of Persia-style building climbing.  Unfortunately, I messed up when I got to the end, and I accidentally threw the cat off a building.
  • I had to spend the next five minutes, working with the throwing controls, because I had to throw the cat back up the building.  Yeah, the throwing controls take a while to get used to.
On Monday, I'll have Part Two of my first impressions of the game.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO excited for this game! :D

Kira said...

Anyone else sad that Link isn't wearing his signature tights in this game? Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

@Kira: not me. I think it slightly more, well, I guess masculine. I mean, he's not a ballerina or a gymnast lol I don't care. I'm just gonna enjoy the game. :)

Anonymous said...

@Kira
What?! U mean his green knight uniform right??? He does wear it...he just doesn't get it until after Zelda gets kidnapped.

Invisible said...

You threw the cat off the building, and it wasn't hurt! It must be part super cat.

Kira said...

@Anonymous
Nooooo, I mean his TIGHTS. XD I like his tights, but they got exchanged for pants in this game. Don't worry, he still wears a green outfit.

Diana said...

Got it yesterday, played today. Got killed by skulltulas...EVIL SPIDERS! I was freaking out.

Balin said...

I'll be laughing for 20 minutes about throwing the cat off the building.

Flashman85 said...

Well, at least you chucked the cat off the building by accident. You shouldn't let me near baby penguins in Super Mario 64, is all I'm sayin'.